My C14 had a cab heater that was removed and the hoses at the cab were plugged off. I hooked up a new heater but get no coolant flow to the heater. How should the heater hoses be connected to the engine? The current set up has two Y's that connect both sides of the engine. This machine has a 6v53 N Detroit, 4 valve. Thanks for any help, PK.
is there a valve anywhere? or the old lines plugged? have you tried to run it with the hoses disconnected from the heater to see if its not getting air locked? as long as the motor heats up and the thermostat opens the water pump should circulate the antifreeze so which way the hoses are hooked up shouldn't really matter too much unless the heater only flows one way for some reason. hope that gives you something to think about if nothing else.
I would agree with the potential for a valve if the system has been modified. I had the mix baffle servo break in the cabin air of my F-150 one summer and it was stuck on hot. Rather than strip the cab to the firewall I just looped the heater core hoses back on themselves. Works fine until the weather changes....and switching back inevitably makes the weather reverse its self for a few weeks . This caused me to consider installing a valve instead. So yeah....I could see someone installing a valve on a heater core mod.
There are valves at the motor, one open and one closed. I got no coolant from either hose when connecting the heater. I thought that was odd. Both valves are stuck in position, so I need to replace them. I'm still trying to figure out the plumbing. I'm not sure why it's connected at both sides of the motor. The circulation on this Detroit shouldn't be all that much different from other motors. PK