Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

30,000lb machine

Chewy63 ยท 2013-10-27 22:46

Hello, I'm wondering what thoughts are on a 30klb machine for farm use. Clearing trees, fence rows, over grown water ways, ect. Would they be efficient in getting saplings up to 24" trees with the occasional 3'ter? I've been searching for 160 class to 200 class range, but have seen a sk135 kobelco that catches my eye. Any advice or info is greatfully appreciated. Erin

Replies3
  1. #1willie592013-10-27 23:17

    I see no reason why an SK135 wouldn't be a sufficient farm machine. It's a zero tail swing machine which is all but a requirement in that application. Sure, a 200 class machine would be "more efficient" as in getting the job done quicker, but a zero tail 200 is way more expensive up front than the SK135. Also, the additional weight and width of the 200 class machines may be a detriment in a farm application, going through various gates, traveling the goat trails through the woods, the occasional wet spots/bogs, sometimes bigger ain't better. A 3 footer tree? Dig dig dig, dig enough dirt with the bucket and it will come down. I hope this helps.

  2. #2Plebeian2013-10-28 05:51

    Did the Sk 135 have a blade or offsetting boom? What other excavators have been used on the property previously like to clean out the waterways ? You should know if a Sk 135 is big enough to do the job. If tackling trees it can be an idea to have a heavy duty frame cab protector. The small Hultdins grapple saws require a minimum of 21 gpm hydraulic oil flow if you have a lot of trees to cut up. Hydraulic ram tilt on the bucket can be helpful if not having a fully rotating bucket. Think what other attachments you might need. Plough for water pipe or trenching spade, hydraulic borer auger, thumb to help life pipes or logs if not purchasing a grapple. Ram guard for the bucket crowd ram. Track cleats to improve traction. Track guides if necessary. Extra fire extinguisher- zero tail swings can have cramped engine spaces. small mulching head., etc

  3. #3Chewy632013-10-28 07:02

    No, there is no blade or offsetting boom. There has been some excavating work on the farm, but I wasn't around to watch. We have a ford 655d backhoe and I use it to take trees out, but we want something quicker. Also, my intention is to try and get some work with it when I become good enough to offer services.