I would like to introduce myself as a new member to this forum. I live in the Portland Oregon area, am a career fire fighter, and have worked in the construction filed since my early 20's. I am a general contractor and have been thinking about buying a small excavator for the last couple of years for both convenience and profit and am hoping to get some insight from the pro's on this forum. I am looking at both new and used equipment, used all seems to be used as well as abused, but is much cheaper. I am hoping to get some help with my decision. Anyhow, thanks for letting me post here, this looks like a great site! Thank you Karl
Welcome to HEF. I started out in the same spot you are in now. Ask away, use the search icon alot and feel free to chime-in. Stay safe.
Thanks! Hey thnaks for the welcome! I am pretty excited about getting a machine, even though it will be a small one. I only have two employees and don't do any commercial work to speak of, we mostly do smaller residential, remodels, etc. I am looking at a used CAT 303.5 with about 3,000 hours on it for about $22,000 (with a new trailer), or, a new Kubota 121 for about $48,000 which would leave me with having to get a trailer also. I am really nervous about getting aused machine. What would you suggest? Thanks Karl C shift St.5 Local 1159
Welcome to HEF kyoshidog! :drinkup
welcome to the forum:notworthy
I tried the cats,just wasn't impressed with the break-out force. I rented a Kubota 91 and 121 for a couple hundred hours, nice machine, thought the track power was lacking, though. Ran a Bobcat 325 several hundred hours, no issues, then I tried a Takeuchi and was even more impressed, so that's what I bought. To each his own, service is a big key to this game. If Cat or Kubota is there for you, great! I rented for 3 years then when I bought it was a used Takeuchi, within 2 years I sold it and bought new. Worked good for me to start out that way. Good luck. Lt. Greene Platoon 1, Engine 11, Ocean Ave. Firehouse http://portlandfirefighters.com/Station Photo Pages/Ocean Avenue/ocean_avenue.htm
Hello L.T. Thanks for the input, I am going to run the CAT machine today, we'll see how it goes. I know what you mean about service, I think that is the #1 complaint about contractors in general and I really try to follow through to the letter when I make a committment for a job. I'll post again when I buy a machine and let you know what I get. How long have you been with the FD? I have about 20 years of service in, I'm an Lt. also, work on an engine co, C platoon, have a great crew, work in a busy house and still love it! Thanks Karl
14 years with the PFD, 5 as a Lt. We run about 1500 runs per year from engine 11, the busiest engine in the city does 2800, the busiest ambulance does 5000. E-11 is considered the second alarm engine, responds to vertiually every 2nd. alarm in the city, so if there's a fire of any size, we're usually there. Good luck with the Cat.
If your going used try to find a zero turn machine like the 303cr for getting into tighter spots like drain tile for example.And look for a cab the more comfortable you are the better you work. Good luck on your search.
So Many Choices! Thanks for the info, I am still undecided about whether to buy new or used, if I go new I will be going with the Kubota KX 121 with a cab. This is not the 0 clearance machine as they are quite a bit more money. If I go used I think that would be a great assest since I am planning on continuing to do residential work only. I am going to go with a cab either way because it is wet and rainy here for a good part of the year. What would you do Murray, new or used? Thanks Karl
I like used equipment myself.I can buy a backhoe for $15,000 and charge the same as another contractor who's machine is $75,000 which is still under payments to the dealer/bank and pay for my machine over and over putting money in my pockets not the banks. With a good maintenance schedule you can keep a used machine running problem free for years to come. Possibly someone else can better explain prorating equipment.
I see you're from Sandy, OR, I know a few folks from Sandy. Chances are, you probably know them, I hear it's a pretty small town. Welcome to the forums! :drinkup