Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello Detroit fans

Blueboy · 2024-11-08 19:05

OK Detroit fans I need some help with figuring out these engines. I’m currently looking at a 6V92TA. I’m sure the T means turbo but what does the A stand for? And are the turbos on these engines in fact making boost pressure? About how nuch? I’m asking if these are in fact turbos because on the 6-71T and 8V71T they are not the kind that builds boost pressure. Is that correct? I am doing a school bus project. I’m not totally fixed on the year but definitely before all the electronic and emissions BS, and it will be a type C. It’s going to have a manual transmission behind it, probably a 5 speed. Thanks!! Blue

Replies33
  1. #1cfherrman2024-11-08 19:37

    Aftercooled These engines are two stroke so they have a blower so the engine will always be under positive pressure from the blower regardless of the turbo. Sounds like too much engine for what you need

  2. #2Shimmy12024-11-08 20:32

    A 6V-92TA is turbo-charged and after cooled. https://www.powerlinecomponents.com/literature/detroit_diesel/brochures/6v92ta-tta_automotive.pdf

  3. #3Shimmy12024-11-08 20:35

    Those buses are heavy pigs. An 8V-92 is really what he needs, especially with a 5 speed. There's a guy around here that hires out for party groups with an old Greyhound. 8V-92TA at 475 hp and 5sp manual. It's not overpowered with 35 people and a windy day.

  4. #4cfherrman2024-11-08 22:36

    That doesn't sound like a school bus

  5. #5Coaldust2024-11-09 01:52

    That 6v92TA should make between 20 to 25 lbs of manifold pressure depending on the injectors and turbo configuration.

  6. #6Ckilla2024-11-09 17:04

    Can anyone give me any pointers with reinstalling a blower on a 6V92TA Silver, I had a mechanic screw me over and took it apart and I have all the parts and a NOS Blower I purchased for it, there were a few things that got scary but thank god i got a lot of service manuals. I seem to have the majority right and will be rechecking before install mainly the Blower Drive Assembly hub the Blower Drive shaft for it as i had to get the correct spline inside it and mess with all that,I think im going to take it back off and order a new one, Im reading about the fuel governors and the fuel pump was removed i have a new one, its a mess I know, really uncharted territory for me... and i have a time limit from the City since the Truck has been sitting, they want to tow it out if its not running by May So into the Snow we go! I got a lot more on this truck to deal with including wiring issues but im a wiz at that.. Truck ran fine before the blower was leaking oil, it was not a lot just enough to make it smoke a bit and run hot i shut it off wasnt that bad, i see about the sleeves on the pistons and its a concern but it looked good on the bottom end almost new without blowby when i reinstalled the pan last time. Any help would be appreciated!

  7. #7Coaldust2024-11-09 18:16

    You really need someone familiar with shimming the rotor clearances show you how before rebuilding a blower by yourself. There is an art and feel to it. But, sounds like you have a new blower. So, you are questioning the reusability of the blower drive shaft? We call them a quill shaft. Some call them a drive shaft. Reminds me of that scene in Sling Blade.

  8. #8Ckilla2024-11-09 18:57

    Hi CoalDust, Im not looking to rebuild it, in fact i have the core sitting in my garage doing nothing, Im looking for the tips or issue that you might not know from reading the Service Manuals, one of them was where the the Clip ring went on the end of the blower shaft, i didnt see the mechanic pull the thing so i was stressing where it went lucky someone posted a picture of the blower drive assembly and it showed the clip, now im ready to install finally, so im worried more issues i might encounter in doing so from others that have done it before. Another thing,Do i need to touch the Governor in anyway after i install the blower and fuel pump? I will be installing a few new fuel lines as well. The ones near the water pump and redoing one of the plugs to the DDEC as it got swamped with oil i just dont like how it looks.

  9. #9Coaldust2024-11-09 22:52

    Gotcha. I’m tracking now. Yeah, I would certainly run the rack. Oh’ boy. Are you familiar with that process? Bus engines are weird, anyway. Especially, in the last few years of production. What year is this beast? Are we talking DDEC 4?

  10. #10Ckilla2024-11-10 00:57

    I thought you might say that CoalDust, my worse nightmare, Im really not familar but im a quick study this is a DDECII so i dont know if its a good or bad thing and its not a bus engine in a bus, but a Bulldozer Engine in a bus, as i was told no way to confirm as the serial numbers are gone. Im going to give it my best shot I dont mind doing the hard stuff its a good challenge as long as its clear not hidden like the drive shaft in the blower where there was no pics at all, or reference points.

  11. #11Coaldust2024-11-10 01:09

    Say what? Someone ground the serial number off the block? Probably not the original block, anyways. That’s makes me sad.

  12. #12Coaldust2024-11-10 01:12

    Probably has the wrong Govna on it, if it came out of a machine. It needs a limiting speed govna. The bulldozer has a variable speed Govna.

  13. #13Coaldust2024-11-10 01:14

    You could hire me to straighten out this mess, but I’m $175 an hour and booked out to January.

  14. #14Ckilla2024-11-10 01:29

    Thats likely all true, it ran really well despite the leak so im not so sure what to believe. Wish i had the 175 an hr, if this was six months ago wouldnt be an issue. But life takes its turn...

  15. #15Coaldust2024-11-10 01:31

    Watcha doing with this bus? Starting a YouTube channel with a skoolie?

  16. #16Coaldust2024-11-10 02:06

    If you have enough liquor and good food, I often work for free. Where you at? I’m way up in Alaska. Not the edge of the world, but you can see it from here.

  17. #17Blueboy2024-11-10 06:44

    Delete this post

  18. #18Blueboy2024-11-10 06:50

    Living in Alaska and only charging $175 an hour? That’s cheap!!

  19. #19cfherrman2024-11-10 09:14

    Look up oltwostroker on you tube lots of info on these old junk engines, I do believe he is rebuilding and putting a blower back on a truck. You will want to reset the governor anytime major work is done, it's easy I used to have a variable speed gov on a truck and it will be fine, might drive different but you will probably be full throttle all the time anyway

  20. #20Ckilla2024-11-10 12:19

    Im trying to fix it to run it as its been sitting and the City in Iowa has cited me, I have till May to get it running. I been trying to work on it for a few years now and life keeps getting in the way. I hope to get it completed this season or end up selling it at worse they will tow it out and leave me with a huge bill. dont want to loose it but if i cant get it running i take that risk, a good 8500 down the drain or better, Ive got money in it so im going to loose it at that point.

  21. #21Ckilla2024-11-10 12:20

    Im in Iowa... Outside CR

  22. #22Ckilla2024-11-10 12:23

    Thank you i will look that up .. I been busy lately with the truck and getting parts for a Volvo S70 I have to drive 5 hrs away to go get them unfortunately so it might not be able to be done in one trip. But hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday i can get back on the Bus its been raining here and i really dont want to get electrocuted im leary on that and the cold is setting in ive got gear for that but the rest of the weather is hampering me a bit.

  23. #23Coaldust2024-11-10 13:50

    Well yeah, I’m not very good at it and I’m kinda slow. So, you get what you pay for. I may or may not pass a breathalyzer at any given moment. But, I’m like the only guy willing to show up and get dirty, so there’s that. Lol

  24. #24Birken Vogt2024-11-10 14:17

    Also look up Bus Grease Monkey. He does everything bus and has tons of info.

  25. #25Coaldust2024-11-10 14:22

    He does a good job with his channel. That’s an interesting, specialized niche he has going.

  26. #26Vetech632024-11-10 15:50

    I’ve been out of town and late to this Detroit party. If you haven’t installed your blower yet, I suggest you use a new drive shaft and drive coupler. The splines are very fine and it doesn’t take a lot of wear to allow for more wear and a stripped splines failure on either. I assemble my blower jobs on the bench, then mount the blower as a sub assembly. To me it is easier and saves time. You can insert the blower drive shaft and the retaining clip after mounting providing you have the clearance…..most cases it’s not an issue.

  27. #27Ckilla2024-11-12 09:43

    Hello Vetech63, Sorry I was out of town myself buying parts for a Volvo S70 it was 4 hrs away and driving was pretty long I just read this and appreciate your help I have all new parts and extras I can’t assemble my blower job on the bench unfortunately as it’s still in the bus so it’s got lines and stuff all over I think I would have been better off pulling the motor and dealing w it that way but it’s too late now and time is ticking so I have to deal with what I have to do. I have long long needle nose pliers and plan on using a light or camera to see where to go it will be mind wracking but I need to be very very careful not to drop that clip I might even find some forceps maybe I can lock and do it that way. I need to investigate more and not just be stupid about it. I’m not too sure I can unmount the area where the drive shaft goes and clip it looks to be even harder to do yet so we will have to see time and patience are needed in this situation.

  28. #28Ckilla2024-11-12 09:44

    I’m going to check him out too

  29. #29Blueboy2024-11-25 20:02

    Time is ticking............. Running yet?

  30. #30Coaldust2024-11-26 12:33

    Pidder-padder, let’s get at er’.

  31. #31workshoprat922024-12-01 20:11

    Pretty sure he said its a ddec2. It wont have a mechanical governor and all that is set in the ecm. Also no rack to run. Just valves and injector height.

  32. #32Oxbow2024-12-02 00:01

    6V92TA he said in the first post.

  33. #33Coaldust2024-12-02 00:29

    Maybe he got er’ running and livin’ the bus life, now?