I'm getting ready to buy a new truck for moving boom lifts with a Versatran body. I'm located in Vermont. I currently have a tri axle (two drives and a lift) setup that is around 25' from the front steer axle to the rear drive axle. I thought it would move anything that I move but didn't take into account the weight of a telehandler. Due to bridge weights, I'm limited to around 30k# of cargo capacity. A telehandler can weigh 36k#. I was ready to pull the trigger on a quad axle and a friend mentioned that nobody buys quad axle dump trucks in Vermont because it doesn't gain you anything. I'm assuming dump trucks use the same rules as my truck. The new truck would have a body that is 2' longer so I'm assuming they would extend the axle spacing by 2' as well. It seems like once you go to a quad axle, the rules change and is not just a bridge weight calculation. I move equipment mostly in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. There is a chance that I would go to Massachusetts and NY. It looks like the rules vary from state to state and the rules are about as clear as mud. It seems like some states only allow you to have one lift axle. Does anybody have experience with these calculations or a resource that is reliable for each state?
Interstate rules are Fed and then every state has their own rules for secondary roads/highways. Here in AL we can gross 85K on a tri-axle dump however GA does not give any weight to a drop axle on a dump truck so one will only see tandem dumps running. As a PITA it will be you will probably have to research each states rules individually. Curious question - Do you buy/sell/rent telehandlers or just move them?
Our local rental house in Missouri, can only move 6k telehandler on their straight truck (tandem plus lift axle). 8k and 10k's telehandlers have to go on their tractor/trailer.
All depends on your state & Fed rules. Tag axle distance is measured from center of rear drive forward--minimum distance to carry any sort of weight is 9' 6" - the further you can move the tag forward the more it can handle--but that all depends on the weight limit of drop axle and steer axle plus tires. You will need the rule book for each state. * As in----Washington state for instance--42' lead trailer with a 20' pup--aka {A Train} is legal. Just across state line it is illegal only a 40' lead can be used with a 20' pup. It all has to do with distance from rear axle of lead to axle of dolly on pup--too close won't bridge. Plus a maximum distance of 68' total from front of lead to rear of pup. * More than likely each state you mentioned will have slightly different set of rules.
Bridge laws are so complicated it hurts my simple brain. There is great software for that, though. Tridoms are cool.
I just heard that ole’e C-2178 met a tragic demise, two years ago. But, her headache rack has been installed on a new rig, in her honor. I hope the new girl will wear it with pride.
Out of curiosity, I don't see any tandem steer trucks in your neck of the woods. They are becoming more popular here in Australia, some even going tandem steer with tri-drive. Many are Kay Dubs,Mack and Stars, some as prime movers, others are rigid.
There is one local fuel hauler running a few cab-over Freightliners with quad steer, doing station deliveries. A rather odd configuration, but they like them. I’ll try and get a picture next time I see one doing a drop.
There are a few tri drives around here. Mostly wood haulers. I'm told they are popular out west in the oil patch. Twin steer, or tandem tandem trucks are popular here. A twin steer with a pup, can legally haul more than a tractor with a tandem dump trailer
Do you mean a twin steer front or something else? I've seen foreign twin steer coe dump trucks they look really hand
This Can be rigid as pictured or semi (tractor) configuration.
Yes, twin steer. Get my terminology correct.
Looks like a roll-off or hook lift. Interesting.
Occasionally I get a call from a mate to drive his hook lift, same make earlier model to Pony's pic. It has a 30m³ bin which can be loaded with a skidsteer. Can't remember the GVM is for sure but thinking 27 tons.
Google Image Result for https://preview.redd.it/pilbara-western-australia-2021-kenworth-c5-twin-steer-tri-v0-ge5h3pr7nbm81.png?width=768&format=png&auto=webp&s=a131637c93fe49b3e68c39d52632bb273fb83c9a
Google Image Result for https://primemovermag.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/pm-news-lamattina-new-30-pallet-twin-tandem-kenworth-1222.jpg
It is unusual these days to see a logging truck here that isn’t a tridem….! Steep/muddy mountain roads. Very few tandem drives….