I've been working in the heavy construction, logging and petroleum industries for over 30 years. I ran my first piece of equipment 41 years ago when I was just 6 years old. It was an 8K with a single cylinder diesel starter motor, and yes, it had a pull start. My dad hose clamped 2x4's to the pedals so I could reach them. This industy has treated me very well over the years and when I look back I really don't have to many complaints . After having put in that much time into one occupation their is not to many people who can say they still enjoy going to work.
Welcome Dirtmunger!
Hi Brian, Thanks for the welcome fellow islander. Are you on the north,central or south part of our island. Peter
Hi Peter, I'm in Nanaimo, where are you at?
Nanaimo!!! That's my home town. Grew up in Nanaimo and lived there for many years. Currently I live in Sooke but that could change unless things pick up a bit work wise.
Welcome Dirtmunger! Had the pleasure of rounding off an RV adventure from Calgary with a trip over to the Island, before dropping off in Vancouver. I must say you live in a beautiful place and the people were so helpful and friendly wherever we went. I also found that whole 'Victoria thing' to be absolutely hysterical with a complete town pretending to be English and every other shop selling Cream Teas. They haven't quite got it truly authentic as nobody was Drinking a cans of Lager in the street and I never even saw a single fight!! Have most of the big Vancouver projects finished now? as I saw little activity on my recent trip to Whistler compared to the previous year.
Hi Eddie, Vancouver is still booming and will be for some time to come. With the Olympics next year and all of the other work that's going on I doubt they or us ever feel this recession. Hopefully. That "Victoria Thing" is more than just pretending as we have the highest number of British immigrants, including myself residing in Victoria than anywhere else in Canada. A local tourism company even buys your old Leland double decker buses and takes the cruise ship crowds on tours all over town. You must not have been here on a Saturday night as Saturday night is fight night down town. For a town of less than 100,000 we have some prettty rough areas that your average person does not go near after hours, and like the rest of Canada you are not allowed to drink public place. My entire family lives in the UK and there telling me things have gotten pretty bad as far as the economy goes over there. I hope your getting though it ok cause many people are not. Cheers, Peter