Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello from Wyo

Revolution Repair · 2018-06-22 22:01

Howdy folks! Joined to hopefully find a community of folks who help one another in their various tasks they may find themselves in. I started a field service business a year ago after many years of dealer and coal mine work. I will try help anywhere I can. Spent 4yrs at a Cat dealer rebuilding 3500 series engines, that got boring so I took a forklift field position with the same dealer for another year and a half. Worked at a Freightliner dealer after graduating tech school. Did the coal mine thing for a while. You get the picture. I have a "I don't know everything" attitude and like the rewarding feeling of learning/fixing something new. Even if it's a bit frustrating at times. Having an issue with an Automobile Crusher. I will post in the Crusher section I guess. Maybe not the type that belongs in the topic, so move if need be. Thanks all!

Replies12
  1. #1Wytruckwrench2018-06-23 00:12

    Hello, and welcome. You will find lots of knowledge here. I’m sure somebody will have the answers. I’m down south in Wyoming.

  2. #2Revolution Repair2018-06-23 15:47

    Thanks for the welcome pardner!

  3. #3Junkyard2018-06-23 16:33

    Welcome to the nut house. Once you’re in.....you’ll never be the same! Haha. There is a vast collection of knowledge here, I learn something new every day and hopefully pass on a little knowledge as well. Maybe more of what NOT to do!

  4. #4CM19952018-06-23 20:03

    Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you.

  5. #5Legdoc2018-06-24 23:29

    Welcome and greetings from Texas.

  6. #6Nige2018-07-18 15:22

    I had a fair bit to do with Wyoming Machinery in a previous life, mostly in Casper & Gillette. Aways nice to have someone else to swap 3500 war stories with. Welcome.

  7. #7kshansen2018-07-18 16:03

    Well only ever worked on one 3500 and that was a few years back. Gen set engine S/N 23Z00425. I think that would be one of the early 3500 engines. One thing I recall is calling the local dealer and asking if they rebuilt injectors for a 3508 and the service manager said you mean a 3408? I said no 3508 he said what's that? Apparently he had never seen one as of that time! D399's he knew lots about those! I recall that was about the coldest blooded diesel I ever dealt with, had to manually over ride the governor when starting cold recall it would surge worse than an out of tune Detroit until it warmed up a little!

  8. #8Revolution Repair2018-07-18 16:10

    Dang! By the time I was working on them the mechanical engines were on their way out. Only set-up a handful of engines with Woodward Gov's. Most of the ones we did were all electronic. Lots of 789 and 793 truck engines, D11 dozers were pretty common. Did a couple 797's with the 2-12 set-up. I do recall the mechanical engines surging a bit on the dyno. That's funny about the 3408 deal LOL!

  9. #9Revolution Repair2018-07-18 16:12

    Yep I was at the Casper branch. They hired like crazy for the rebuild center. Thanks for the welcome!

  10. #10kshansen2018-07-18 16:45

    I tried to do the "As Built" thing on SIS but it says no information found!

  11. #11Nige2018-07-19 13:29

    The one thing (and probably the only thing) about the old Woodward-governor 3500's was that if you took them to an elevation where the air was a bit "thin", as we did in the Andes on many an occasion, you could play around with governor settings to get them to run half-way decent. We had a couple of technicians who were total wizards setting them up. Also they hung around much longer on gensets and industrial engines than they did in machine engines. I recall a bunch of Sandvik drills with mechanical 3512's in them on a mine site in Argentina not that many moons ago. With the electronic engines you were totally dependent on the software engineers getting the altitude correction to atmospheric pressure correct, and TBH we had a lot of issues in that area. I recall once being asked what the atmospheric pressure was on a particular mine site. My reply was 57kPa (8.27psi), the response at the other end was a silence, followed by "our derate software only goes down to 10psi atmospheric pressure". My reply was "well in that case there's no wonder it runs like a POS then ......."

  12. #12Nige2018-07-19 13:41

    Here's what appears to be the Test Spec for it Ken. 23Z07186 was built in May 1998 so your engine would have been a fair bit older than that.