Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello gentlemen, Seeking info on Old D6 Cat

fish boat billy · 2021-04-04 12:19

Just purchased old Cat D6 # 9U15840 SP it has 1H 5552 on the block. Guy said it needed clutch an that's all he new about the machine,at the price I picked it up I figured I could get my money back in scrap metal if nothing else but after tinkering with it ,kinda gets addictive bringing the ole dinosaur back ,It needs exhaust manifold clutch a top roller an possibly a water pump . Someone removed pony engine an installed a electric starter.First off Thank you in advance you guys help alot on a 399 cat I was playing with several years ago, if anyone can tell me what I've got here, engine size, year it was built,oil pressure I should have,easiest way to remove water pump, filter numbers,guessing oil plugs under it but I haven't got through power washing what looks like 60 years of hard labor off the old girl yet,done alittle research but end up on pay sites and lost in the inter webs.I know I'm asking alot an thank you again .....

Replies25
  1. #1fish boat billy2021-04-04 12:37

    Also easiest way to replace roller haven't got covers off yet guessing it's a coil spring,wondering if can I can just raise track with bottle jack an install new top roller an lower it down on it or what the easiest method is.Thanks

  2. #2kshansen2021-04-04 12:50

    Those number are not making any sense at my end, any chance of some pictures of any tags on it if possible or even just some pictures of the machine it's self?

  3. #3fish boat billy2021-04-04 13:58

    Pic of tag

  4. #4fish boat billy2021-04-04 13:58
  5. #5spitzair2021-04-04 14:20

    Did the seller tell you if it was the main clutch or a steering clutch that needs replacing? Going by your serial number you should have a wet clutch in your machine, they are adjustable and this could be all it needs. I sold my 9U many years ago now but seem to remember there is a cover at the back of the clutch housing you open up to do the adjustment. Someone who’s more familiar with these machines will be along soon to help out more.

  6. #6fish boat billy2021-04-04 15:17

    Only other number Thanks I see where floor has been lifted an it looks like clutch lever just works manual band around backside of universal joint, but I haven't raised the floor an investigated any further just got mud off it .I believe its dry.

  7. #7fish boat billy2021-04-04 15:18

    Main clutch

  8. #8fish boat billy2021-04-04 16:34

    Guessing its manual

  9. #9fish boat billy2021-04-04 16:37

    Dry clutch? looks like friction just slows it down guy I got it from said they hadn't been long putting clutch in but it didn't last.

  10. #10Puffie402021-04-04 18:36

    In your photo, that is a brake used to hold the transmission input shaft still while you are shifting gears- you push the clutch lever forward to engage it. There is a cover plate above that brake in your photo. If you take that plate off you should have access to the main clutch plate and adjustment.

  11. #11kshansen2021-04-04 18:41

    Glad to see there are some here who might be able to help, I know SIS won't be too much help!

  12. #12fish boat billy2021-04-04 20:44

    Thank you sir , I adjusted the linkage that engages the break it wasn't making contact at all, the pad is worn down through to rivets that are holding it on,only option was tightening the threaded rod down to apply more friction until it can be replaced is that part something that can still be found an where would you look for it an a exhaust manifold?

  13. #13bccat2021-04-04 21:01

    Billy, Your engine is a Cat D318, popular engine, used in many machines.should be still available aftermarket, try wrecking yards

  14. #14bccat2021-04-04 21:15

    Your tractor was built in 1954

  15. #15old-iron-habit2021-04-04 23:27

    Early 1954 build. The SP means that it has special parts installed that cannot be seen by looking at the outside of the machine. Most SP machines have a slightly higher first gear installed for AG work but it could be most anything.

  16. #16Puffie402021-04-04 23:42

    For parts, There is a guy in Boise that wrecks old construction equipment that you could try. Go to tractorparts.com. you can look around on Machinery Trader's dismantled machine listings for D6 parts. The ACMOC forum is another good place to ask. For the brake, you should be able to take it to a machine or brake shop and get some new friction material glued back on.

  17. #17Check Break2021-04-04 23:48

    Post your questions on ACMOC.org bulletin board. There's quite a few folks familiar with your machine who can help you repair/restore it.

  18. #18spitzair2021-04-04 23:59

    That is a wet clutch that you have. The short driveline with the double u-joint is a dead giveaway, the dry clutch had a shaft that went directly into the transmission if I recall correctly. I’ll so some archeological digging in my mess here to see if I can find my old service manual although it ismlikely at my parents’ place which is a 15 hr drive away... if you pop the cover plate off above that brake on the left side of your picture you’ll find the clutch. I can’t remember how to adjust it now but if you take a picture of what it looks like in there it might jog my memory or someone more familiar with these things will be able to walk you through the adjustment procedure.

  19. #19tctractors2021-04-05 15:32

    Yep a Wet Clutch with its own oil level and dip stick (level Gauge) often 2 locks on clutch adjuster ring, open the clutch and push the ring around (or tap it) until you have a nice snap over action. tctractors

  20. #20fish boat billy2021-04-08 10:17

    Any idea what size Allen wrench it takes to get oil plug out of the engine ? Just enuff room to get my arm under there,found water in the oil so I guess the heads coming off .Weeeeee fun fun fun.Not sure if water pump went up an she run hot or exactly what happened. I havent run the machine 30 minutes just loading an unloading. Pretty sure it was already an issue because oil looked like it was just changed.

  21. #21fish boat billy2021-04-08 10:19

    Anybody got a shop manual for sale ? 54 D6 going deep lol

  22. #22bccat2021-04-08 12:18

    Just find a bolt that the head fits inside, thread 2 nuts on & weld together, also fits other compartments

  23. #23fish boat billy2021-04-08 19:21

    That's exactly what I ended up doing.

  24. #24Puffie402021-04-09 00:32

    Is it colored with antifreeze? My thought right now is other than a active leak from a cyilinder jug, it could just be some condensation that collected from sitting. Also, my experience is that the carbon in oil settles and can potentially look clear if the engine sits long enough. I guess Im saying I would be skeptical in assuming the oil was 'just' changed.

  25. #25ianoz2021-04-15 19:29

    Lot of the time Water in oil is a Precombustion chamber rusted through .They screw out of the head . Manuals , check on Ebay .Try and avoid the reprint ones as the photos usually are not very clear .