Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello! How much work / money it is to paint it another color for Hitachi EX 120 excavator?

Experthead · 2023-11-03 10:03

Hello! How much work / money it is to paint it another color for Hitachi EX 120 excavator in USA?

Replies28
  1. #1Tyler d4c2023-11-03 14:14

    That can depend greatly on the quality of the job and the quality of materials used. How good you want

  2. #2Experthead2023-11-03 15:21

    Best quality of materials and job

  3. #3Legdoc2023-11-03 21:55

    What's the overall condition of the machine? Hours, rust, hoses, pins and bushings, glass?

  4. #4Experthead2023-11-04 16:44

    Machine

  5. #5Experthead2023-11-04 16:45

    7800 hrs

  6. #6Vetech632023-11-04 16:48

    I just have to ask.............why do you want a good quality paint job on that?

  7. #7Experthead2023-11-04 16:52

    Normal quality is also OK for me. I just want to estimate the cost according to my budget

  8. #8Vetech632023-11-04 16:54

    I get that, but why do you want to paint it? It will be impossible to match the original OEM quality. If you are going to sell it is one thing...........if you just want a shiny new paint job to get all f&^$ed up in no time is quite another.

  9. #9Experthead2023-11-04 16:58

    I want to paint it blue. I recently bought it. I just want to shine it

  10. #10Vetech632023-11-04 17:01

    $20K for prep and paint for a decent quality. Earl Schieb........$500

  11. #11Experthead2023-11-04 17:04

    Much expensive?

  12. #12Vetech632023-11-04 17:08

    Well, everything is in the prep. It has to be grease, and dirt free, every inch of it will have to be sanded and primed.........much less the rust having to be sandblasted off. That is super expensive.

  13. #13Experthead2023-11-04 17:09

    Thank you for helping out

  14. #14Vetech632023-11-04 17:11

    No problem. I'm not trying to be an ass. It just makes no sense to me.

  15. #15Nige2023-11-04 18:02

    Doesn’t make any sense to me either. The cost of a half-decent painting job would likely be more than the machine is worth.

  16. #16Experthead2023-11-04 18:08

    Yes I also wonder Painting job is expensive than machine worth. I bought machine for $17000

  17. #17Lagwagon2023-11-04 21:35

    I’ve painted 2 x 21 tonne machines and I can say I will NEVER do it again. the first one was old and greasy like you have, took 2 full days to just clean….. that is scrape and wipe off grease and pressure wash. Then more time fixing rust, sanding, more cleaning, taping, mixing paint, spraying etc… it’s an ordeal. I used top quality 2 part marine paint and that was the main cost. It cost me about $2k Aus, yours is smaller though so you can work it out in your currency. second machine I painted with 1 part pain’t. Much cheaper and quicker but nowhere near as nice or durable finish. The MAIN reason I’ll never do it again is the exposure to the toxins in the paint. Unless you’re in a full body suit respirator you can’t avoid it. I was using the best quality mask I could get and changing it regularly but still had to sit down after I sprayed and couldn’t sleep that night. I started getting short term memory loss so visited a doctor, did blood, saliva and hair tests and they came back loaded with heavy metals, like off the scale high. I had poisoned myself. My fault, my carelessness I know. I would avoid it, a nice machine won’t make the machine pay, your operating skills will. Focus your time on them.

  18. #18KSSS2023-11-04 22:03

    Buy some Dakota Shine (google it) and apply it. It wont turn it blue, but it will bring back the OEM paint. Save the rest of the money you would have spent on blue paint, for repairs.

  19. #19Experthead2023-11-05 07:56

    Thank you for your valueable points

  20. #20Experthead2023-11-05 07:58

    Thank you for valuable suggestion

  21. #21Legdoc2023-11-05 19:17

    As someone that has done it I will tell you a high quality paint job is one hell of a lot of work. Painting itself is the fun part. As mentioned above it's all in the prep. The highest quality paint system on the planet will not last and certain to look like **** with improper preparation. I did a 200 class machine as follows: Remove bucket, boom and dipper, replaced all bushings. Remove the house and glass. Remove the electrical harness, all hydraulic lines and cap the system off. Striped the machine to the engine and pumps. Degrease again followed by a grinder and flap disc. I would abrasive blast 1/2 day with a I-R 185 CFM compressor rinse with hold-tite and prime. This took two days. I applied two coats of Imron on the third day. I let everything dry for three weeks (while I recovered) then reassembled with new hoses part time over the next several months. This is so far beyond the scope of something like repair, blasting and painting a 16' bumper pull trailer. One will have to deal with many systems such as fuel, coolant, hydraulics taking great care to avoid contamination plus electrical, glass... I can understand your desire and admire your ambition. In a couple years I plan to blast and paint my 580M two farm tractors and several trailers assuming my health holds out and I finish my elevated bay house that I have been on for 7 years. I have the equipment to do it at my schedule as the weather permits. I can say there is a immeasurable sense of accomplishment and pride after the job is done.

  22. #22ianjoub2023-11-05 20:05

    Do a hot water pressure wash with a degreaser. Tape up the glass, paint it with this https://www.kbs-coatings.com/fusion-self-etch-primer.html , then top coat it with the color of your choice.

  23. #23Experthead2023-11-06 12:26

    Thank you for nice suggestion

  24. #24Experthead2023-11-06 12:27

    Thank you

  25. #25Old Doug2023-11-06 18:33

    They took a truck in to see what it would cost to paint the front end hood fenders and the cab. This truck is in pretty good shape. The estimate was $15000.00 seems unreal ???

  26. #26Experthead2023-11-07 15:52

    What about just to touch up the orange paint?

  27. #27Experthead2023-11-07 15:53

    What about just to touch up the orange paint?

  28. #28csthompson122023-11-07 16:19

    That's what I would do. I touch up my mini excavators from time to time. Especially the counterweight swing area and track frame. Places that get scuffed up the most. I just use a foam roller mine and roll out the paint. You can even get a set of decals to make the machine look good. Decals