Hello, I am new to the forums. My age is 14 years old. Please don't judge me by my age. I am very smart when it comes to Caterpillar Equipment and Mack Trucks. I am really into moving dirt and putting pipe in the ground. My dads a mechanic, and my uncle is a contractor. I have been into construction since I was 5, the biggest piece of equipment I have operated was a Deere 450C LC. I design my own blueprints, and receive old ones from my uncle. I then estimate them. I am a big studier of estimating these types of construction projects. I also study the science of compaction, and compaction testings. I am also a collector of diecast equipment and trucks, with about 200 models in my collection. I am a registered user at www.dhsdiecast.com , my username on there is fensoncontracting. Fenson Contracting is my made up business, in which my dream is to make it real. Its great to meet you all, and I know I will enjoy the forum! Thanks Nolan
Hi Fensoncontracting. Keep up the good work and good attitude !! You will succeed with your enthuisasim. I wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup
You sound like me as a kid. I'm pretty much like yourself,Dad supervised underground tank removal for the provincial government.When I was young I'd tag along for the trip and go to DOT garages,schools,hospitals all over the southern half of my province.First machine I got to get my little hands on was a Cat 205 back in 1989 before I was even in school and since then never looked back. The fact you take old drawings and bid them as your own and study soil testing shows your passion in the industry for such a young age so I give you a thumbs up. Remember the age of a person is just a number,but its the brain on that persons sholders that tell their real maturity.
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate your your nice words to me. Thanks Nolan
Welcome to HEF!:drinkup I'm sure we all look forward to your input and opinions. :yup
Keep at it there young man, you sound like you are on the right track. Always remember, you can do or be anything you want if you desire it so. Perhaps I can consult with you on technical Caterpillar issues if you dont mind. i1
Thanks guys!! I would be glad to help, if I can ever be of help! Thanks Nolan
Yeah, weclome here, too! (I already wrote a welcome on your post about fleet variety, but, *rubs nose) I think you've officially taken my spot as the youngest person here (I'm about month shy of 21), and you've also beaten me to the punch of getting interested -- I got interested at age nine, and what darkness my life was before then. :yup Okay enjoy the forums. Don't let Squizzy get to ya.
:naughty :naughty
Speaking of which, how are you doing, Squizz? You've gone missing for a while.
Thank you! Nolan
welcome aboard Nolan, You know more than I do about estimating, never really thought about it it till now, but you're dhs posts have been very ... calculated... for lack of a better word (sorry the old brain is runnin outa juice tonight:Banghead ) Don't ever lose sight of your dream. The best job in the world is the one you enjoy, pay comes second in my opinion. I think you'll find this is a nice little corner of the web, make yourself at home:yup
Thanks Jim, that means a lot to me. Thanks Nolan
hey nolan welcome to H.E.F. its good to fined people enjoying the art of moving dirt at such a young age! good luck with everyhting you do! dont ever give up yor dreams!
Nolan Welcome. I can relate to your enthusiasm for the buisiness. I learned to read in the Cat product lierature from the local dealer, and have wanted to be in this buisiness since I could say Cat. With your background, you have an advantage, and I am sure it will be put to good use in the years to come. I wish there were more people your age excited about this buisiness. It is hard to find good help.
Thank you guys, I appreciate the kind words! Thanks Nolan
Welcome to HEF, JDOFMEMI. :drinkup
Countryboy watch a pro at work. Two "Welcomes" in one post!!( Alittle thing I call "multi-stuff doing" ) Welcome too you both fensoncont. & JDOFMEMI I agree with the others Nolan. At 14 years old, to have the interest and experience you have in a skill that can help you throughout your life is great.:thumbsup
I...I can "multi-stuff doing" too but only with the help of my little friend > (ya like that one don't ya)
Thank you! Nolan
Its called Holidays ..and aside from that its about to get real busy around my house as I'm actually going to do the work that I promised the wife about 4 years ago:Banghead :Banghead :spaz
Once kids get the bug there's no turning them back. My son, who's eleven, has about 10 hrs seat time on our D10N and about the same on or 345. It surprized me how fast he picked up the 345. I guess that Cat computer game I gave him when he was 4 is really paying off. Now he wants some seat time in the cranes We may have to hold off on that one.
Lucky guy, lashlander! I wish I could get that many hours on big equipment. Aww, squizz, welcome back! :bouncegri
Thank you guys! Do you own a construction company Lashlander?? If so could I have details on it?? Your son is very lucky!!
Welcome. Hey Nolan, welcome to the site pal. It's refreshing to see a young guy like yourself so enthusiastic about this work. I was always the same way, and still am at 44 3/4 yrs. old. I rode on the armrest of old Caterpillar and Allis-Chalmers and John Deere bulldozers that my dad ran when I was around 8-10 yrs. old. I used to love rubber tired backhoes. The 70's vintage ones were 2 wheel drive back then, and you had to push and pull yourself around with the hoe all the time to get around greasy sites. I also drove a lot of different types of trucks over the years, and have done a lot of heavy mechanical work on them. I was helping rebuild diesel engines back then too, which really helps me out nowadays with the work I do. Having a little bit of knowledge of everything related to equipment really makes your bosses happy. Sometimes too happy.:bouncegri Keep up with your studies, and get all of the education you can stand, because in this day and age of technology, you will rise above most if you can hold your own with a computer, and have the necessary math skills to go along. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know... Glad you're aboard. LowBoy
That's some mighty fancy "multi-stuff doin'" right there, Countryboy... I don't think I could outdo that kinda stuff-doin' no matter how hard I tried...:naughty
Jeff is the master "multi-stuff doer".......I just got the cool pictures. :bouncegri