Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello New to HD equipment

HDGrom · 2023-12-05 08:40

Hello this is my first post and didn’t see a specific section on material handelers. Im recently working on some scrap yard material handlers and looking for a group that I might be able to connect with. Specifically older imported stuff like a Fuchs Terex, Komatsu sheer, and domestic john Deere excavator with magnet. Any experience here or suggestions where I can bounce some ideas on repairs? Thanks in advance! Pic for attention (it’s the equipment I’m working on)

Replies16
  1. #1Vetech632023-12-05 12:16

    Welcome! Throw us your questions and be sure to have equipment serial numbers ready.

  2. #2HDGrom2023-12-05 12:25

    Thanks! I will make sure to have all the data when asking. The one machine is a Fuchs Terex MHL 350. What sub forum should I ask question about it in?

  3. #3skyking12023-12-05 14:13

    It's nominally an excavator, but only that. It is a pretty cool piece of kit. I have not seen a scrap handler on rubber.

  4. #4HDGrom2023-12-05 19:53

    It is pretty cool! Looks like they make them both ways but this ones not like an excavator. It actually has a 4x4 truck type drivetrain. Solid rear axle, steerable solid front axle, transfer case and driveshafts. Here’s a stock photo:

  5. #5skyking12023-12-05 20:14

    It is in the sense of the moving big parts. I was not talking about the undercarriage. They do make excavators on rubber, here is a really old rare Cat machine I spotted the other day. There is a scrap operation just down the road from the office. They have a really crusty elevating cab machine like yours.

  6. #6HDGrom2023-12-05 20:23

    Ok gotcha yea I misunderstood. Cool! What year do you think that is?

  7. #7skyking12023-12-05 23:50

    The cat 224B was built from 1991 to 1994. it is 30-ish.

  8. #8Vetech632023-12-06 07:39

    You see what you have in that Terex in mostly the scrap and forestry industries.

  9. #9oarwhat2023-12-06 08:42

    They have a couple of those loaders in our local scrap yard. I'm amazed at how much they can lift with the long reach they have.

  10. #10skyking12023-12-07 14:44

    @HDGrom I went by my local recycler for some new pictures today. They are pouring new concrete so the front side was a little hectic. There is the new big shear on the Komatsu 700. Their high cab magnet and grapple machine is behind it, the Link-Belt. It also had some missing pads and broken ones, last time I was close. The old big shear is mounted on a 450 John Deere with track issues. I don't know what the plan is there, exactly. There is a pile of bent mangled shoes there on both sides. Another shot of the business end of the JD450 mounted shear.

  11. #11skyking12023-12-07 14:49

    They use the Manitowoc 3900 to stack up ship pieces. They bring in big hunks of ship to break up, by lowboy. In the process they go through a lot of oxygen. I found a new old dozer in the side yard Parked near the rare Loed forklift. I ran one of those at the water job yard. It has a little winch drum out there too.

  12. #12HDGrom2023-12-07 22:13

    Cool pictures! Is that a massive Oxygen tank for torching?

  13. #13skyking12023-12-08 00:05

    yes they do a lot of burning there.

  14. #14HDGrom2023-12-08 00:21

    I had a regulator ice up a bit today doing some torch work today. But that’s on another level! They look like they’re processing some heavy stuff.

  15. #15HDGrom2023-12-08 00:26

    I love seeing it cast stuff into a massive pile!

  16. #16Legdoc2023-12-09 22:03

    Welcome! Other than aviation I know no other endeavor that will require you to spent vast amounts of your hard earned dollars than heavy equipment.