Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help

Tronks ยท 2014-06-22 22:20

Just bought a manitex some time last year and I'm hearing grinding noise when I swing the boom but only when I do it slow I thought it was the swing motor and took it and got resealed but dint work I just thought it was the swing motor because we had already problems with the hydraulic system because the last owner dint really used so a lot of the seals went bad the thing is I dint hear the noise when I worked the crane on winter when the summer came that's when I started hearing the noice the crane has 2,700 hours so please anything else I can check for. ?

Replies3
  1. #1dbl6122014-06-23 15:46

    how is the rotation bearing lube. needs to be greased as you rotate turret. also gear on rotation drive needs a good open-gear lube. if that doesn't help the noise, is the swing brake releasing completely? if not you could be hearing the friction discs dragging. if hydraulic pressure is by-passing in the brake cavity due to a bad o-ring, the brakes will drag at slow rotational speed, and free up at high speed rotation because you are flooding the circuit with oil.

  2. #2Tradesman2014-06-23 16:55

    My last crane was a 4792 terex it had an upward facing swing drive the seals would leak and let water into the swing drive. If I forgot to routinely flush out and change the gear oil it would remind me to with a sort of a grinding sound, change the oil and I was good to go for several months

  3. #3Tronks2014-06-23 19:45

    Tanks for your comments but I think I found the problem this morning I read in some old comments to check the play of the bearing and it those have a lot of play and also to check for grind metal and the grease and it those have grind metal as we'll so to bad for me I am have to get a new bearing.