Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help—580 k swing problems

illinoisboy ยท 2012-01-27 22:08

I blew a hose that feeds my swing valve, from my valve body. I replaced the hose,,, Thanks Case for making it a pain in the ass... and now the swing is off. when swinging to the left, onces it gets half way( straight in front of you) it slows and creeps to the left, when swinging to the right, it goes full force and doesnt slow down at all! Anyone got any clues? Thanks, need to get it fixed in the morning. :notworthy

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2012-01-28 02:39

    Check the swing cam follower operation - you could have moved it during the hose replacement & it may not be sitting where it should. They don't need to be out by much to upset things. This thread discusses it - ( & it refers to an older one) HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2styxplo2012-06-10 04:14

    Hello I'm new to this forum and also new to owning any type of heavy equipment. I recently purchased some property in North Eastern Ohio and after getting a few estimate for my 1100' gravel driveway and culvert (upward of $25,000 I decided to do it myself). After some extensive reading on this site and a few months of research and a drained bank account I am now the proud owner of a gmc 7000 dump truck and a case 580k. I am still second guessing this decision and constantly asking myself as I look at this big tractor "what the he** have I got myself into, but it's to late for that now. From what I have read there was a model change at serial #jg0020000 (give or take a few zeros). Mine is prior to the change. I am still unable to start a post so I figured this was a good place to ask my question. I apologize a head of time, but this is the first forum I have joined. All in all she is ingood shape. The one issue i have is the left swing cylinder with the seat in the backhoe position. The cylinder end bushing and pin are pretty wore out to the point that the cylinder is binding. I crawled under and it looks to me that I hve to remove the valve body to get the pin out as it come out from the top. Any advice would be appreciated. -do I have to remove the valve body to remove the pin -are the bushings pressed in -where is a good place to purchasse the seals. ( I found several places that have the bushings and pin) - Does anyone know the size of the hydraulic fittings they look to be JIC possibly 10 or 12. (I plan on buying plugs and caps to seal off the lines and cylinder) I have enjoyed reading though alot of the posts on here some of you guys are a riot. I think its pretty cool how people from all over the earth chime in to help each other out Thanks

  3. #3melben2012-06-10 08:55

    Unless there is damage to the barrel or you are going to replace the inner bushings there is no need to remove the barrel to get access to the rod, Remove the gland and loosen the butt end line so you can pull the rod out. The binding you are talking about? The K series with the sequencing valve setup have some normal "hitches " in the swing arc due to oil flow changes as the roller follows the swing cam through it's travel. Early in the K production run the swing cylinders were updated in a nationwide recall to larger bore cylinders and I never recall having to remove a sequencing valve to remove the cylinder. I'm quite sure the fittings are #10 JIC not 12. HTH. I have rebuilt literally hundreds of these cylinders and will stick with Case replacement parts. Their quality has been consistent over many years and the dealer network needs support if we expect it to survive. No need to get into the effects of foreign imports on American industry, No offense intended to our worldwide friends who will read this post and who are great contributors. Mel

  4. #4styxplo2012-06-12 23:44

    Mel, Thanks for the reply. The inner pin and bushings are the ones that seem to have alot of slop. (Excuse my ignorance, but from your response it seems this end is called the barrel end as opposed to the rod end.) It almost seems that the cylinder kicks up and down at an angle causing the rod to bend at the gland at an angle. It is harder than I thought it would be to explain a picture in my head in writing. It isnt leaking yet, but I'm sure this is bad and will eventually damage the seals. The inner pin comes out from the top of the cylinder and to me it looks like it is going to interfere with the valve body that is mounted directly above the pin.

  5. #5melben2012-06-13 07:44

    If you have an alignment problem of that magnitude is the bulkhead in proper position in regard to the swing cylinders, are the pins and bushings worn to the point of allowing misalignment? Bending of the swing rods indicates a serious problem somewhere. I still do not believe we had to move the sequencing valve to do the cylinder update way back when. Mel

  6. #6styxplo2012-06-16 07:25

    I removed the swing cylinder. It was easier than I thought. The pins and bushings were actually pretty tight. I did notice that the other cylinder had what looked to be a spacer (flat washer about 1/4 inch thick). The cylinder I removed did not. I believe this was allowing the cylinder to move up and down and to become misaligned with the rod end. I also noticed that the parts manual I have showed seals on the top and bottom of the bushings (barrel end). On my cylinder the bushings went all the way flush with the top and bottom and there were no seals. Is this spacer a factory part?? Any insight would be appreciated.

  7. #7alrman2012-06-16 18:28

    From what I can see, the parts book does not show a spacer at the cylinder mounting pin, but that does not mean someone has not fitted one to the other side cylinder before. Why they fitted it to one cylinder & not the other also - who would know? From information I have, the pin should measure 40mm - I don't have alot of centre mount experience .... ( metric on US built hoe??) I would suggest to either make or purchase a spacer (washers from a nut & bolt supplier) to remove the 'up & down' movement, & make it the same as the other side. If you have the pin out you have the correct size already. I would also think there may be an adjustment problem with the swing. It should cushion evenly (same amount) at full right & full left movement.