Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help anyone 555 backhoe stopped in field

dougw2007 ยท 2015-08-20 14:31

we had a coyote kill a lamb so I got the 555 out to bury it. It had not run since last october. Started right up drove 600 feet and all of a sudden the motor sort of sounded like it was firing right and it stopped a second later. If I shoot ether in it tries to fire off. It has fuel from last winter in tank and I pulled the fuel line feed off the pump and it is getting fuel. As I pulled up with it I noticed that the top radiator hose was leaking but it wasn't over heating and I don't think leaking antifreeze could have killed the motor. What on earth could possible be wrong? Mechanically the engine turns over and tries to fire with ether, there is fuel to injection pump, and a dead smelly lamb next to it. I figure I have one day before the tires go flat and I don't have portable compressor or long air line. It has to be something simple? The fuel cut off valve is in the right position, there are no safetey interlocks on something like this? Doug

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2015-08-20 15:20

    Don't worry about the antifreeze. If you have a mechanical engine stop then it obviously doesn't have any sensors that would shut down for low antifreeze. I'd guess it had some air leak into the fuel system and that air is now in your injection lines. Loosen one of the injector lines one turn at the injector and I'll bet it spits out a little air when you crank it. If it tries to fire then tighten the line back up and it should run. Then increase the RPM up to 2,000 and let it run a few minutes before you try to move.

  2. #2dougw20072015-08-20 18:05

    Okay I will go out and try that. Are there two lines to the injectors? It seems as i remember that there was one on top and one on side. I will go down there now and see what I can loosen. Thanks for the reply.

  3. #3Delmer2015-08-20 18:16

    Yes, there is a return line that connects to the other injectors and back to the injection pump and/or tank. You want to loosen the one with the small steel lines and big nuts. Let us know how it goes.

  4. #4dougw20072015-08-20 21:36

    Great! You saved my bacon on that. I loosened the big nuts and turned it over. Fuel came out so then I tightened them and it fired off with a little ether. Seems to run fine. Actually worked out good because I would have missed the antifreeze leaking out if I was facing backwards. Thanks for your help. Doug