Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help backhoe slipped timing on pump

Dj leacy ยท 2013-12-24 18:14

Hi I was replacing a broken stud on a lb110 b newholland backhoe injector pump While cracking the bolt on the back of the pump I think the tapered shaft slipper forward and now the backhoe won't start how do I reset the pump had had pump pin in and still slipped . The pump is a Bosch with a tapered shaft and no key way all ideas gladly accepted

Replies20
  1. #1frogfarmer2013-12-24 22:56

    Not familiar with that particular setup but it should have timing marks on/in the pump to verify the engine timing with the marks on the engine pulley or flywheel. I dont have a service manual so thats about all I can add. Whats the chance an electrical connector didnt get hooked up or was hooked up incorrectly? Check the easy stuff first.

  2. #2ANDREW C2013-12-25 00:12

    Was looking at the parts picture and the engine looks quite simple. Make sure you are getting power at the fuel shut off. If the timing did slip, from what I can see in the picture there should be a cover in font of the injection pump you could take this off and see if it did slip. If it did then set engine to number one and then there should be a mark on the pump or a cover that has timing marks or a timing pin and set it where it lines up.

  3. #3Dj leacy2013-12-25 03:31

    Reply Thanks Andrew what makes me think the timing slipped on the tapered shaft is the pump nut was so tight I had to apply a lot of pressure to crack the nut when I did I hard it squeal a bit like steel again steel first thought in my head at that minitue was o no sounds like the shaft slipped and through enought when I put the pump back on black smoke try to fire black smoke and so on .this think always fired with one tip of the key ... The thing is the injector pump on the cummins iveco engine is driven off the fly wheel so you have a verry small amount of room to work and your working blind by touch only When you say set it to number one if I set the timing pin remove pump are there marks on the pump if so could you tell me where and if you could any pictures of the assembly it's a cummins iveco 04 model with a Bosch pump thanks Dj

  4. #4thepumpguysc2013-12-25 08:18

    Bosch inline or rotary? all the engines I looked at online had the Delphi pump on them. Get me some #'s off the pump and I'll try to walk you thru it.. Preferably the 10 digit #.. starts w/ 0 460*** *** for a rotary pump. If the lock timing bolt is by the front mounting flange of the pump then you need a special adaptor to screw into the back of the pump inorder to hold a dial indicator. You may as well take it to the pump shop and get them to reset the lock timing. Is there a place to pin time the engine? If my thinking is correct, theres an access hole on the flywheel cover, behind the inj. pump, engine side?? 8mm allen screw plug?? IF SO. use a mirror to line up the hole in the gear with the hole in the cover FIRST.. before you pull the pump..

  5. #5Dj leacy2013-12-25 12:10

    The pump it's a rotary 0460 42427 I think that's the number the tag is a littel bit damaged .. Now I have locked the tdc pin in fly wheel I've locked pump pin in two and pulled the pump now I think the pump slipped About 12 mil clock wise that's just my own calculations and the interesting thing is if I was to back the pump 12 ml the key way in the pump would b vertical at 12 o'clock the key way slot is in the pump shaft And there is no slot in the drive cog just a tapered shaft May be aim totally wrong but maybe aim on to something Help,,,,

  6. #6frogfarmer2013-12-25 12:50

    The timing needs to be spot on to the degree so guessing at the location is not a good idea. If you dont have the equipment to set it up correct let somebody who does do it right.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2013-12-25 14:18

    FROG is correct.. it has to be spot on.. DJ, if you look inside the gear w/ a mirror, I think you will see where the key way hole has made a mark inside the gear. should be around the 10:00 or 1:00 position depending on which end you look. You missing a #.. 0 460 424 27? or ?27.. I'll do some research on Thursday when I get back to work.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2013-12-26 11:30

    Slight problem.. there are 10 different possibilties.. Only other way to narrow it down is with the VE4 #..

  9. #9Dj leacy2013-12-26 13:23

    Ok up date pulled the pump today looked at the inside of the tapered shaft I thought I could c a mark from the taper on On it installed pump again and and noting so phoned and old timer who lives near by and has worked on ford and new Hollands for years he told me to drop it down to him and heal try and set it fire il try and get you that last diget cheers

  10. #10alrman2013-12-26 16:08

    Welcome to HEF Dj leacy! Not wanting to step on PG's feet or anything, all the specs are of no use without proper tooling. Without them, you will never be able to set this pump exactly right. It needs to be timed either on the engine or on a bench with a special dial gauge inserted into it. There is no other visual way to get this right. It helps if you have the engine pinned at TDC, if you take the pump to a injector pump specialist or even a mechanic with the proper tools & knowledge, they can time the pump correctly & lock it in place. Then you simply install the pump, unlock it & the engine, prime fuel & play. Frustrating I know, being this time of year, you may have to wait till early January to find someone to assist.

  11. #11Dj leacy2013-12-27 05:50

    Thanks I have the pump off now and left in with a man who works on ford and new holland he ses he can set it fingers Crossed thing is when I removed it this time I didn't set it to tdc what do I do now C I need her up and running for the second of jan and the diesel pump shop is not reoping til the 7 of jan the man is on Hols down under til then hens the panic ....

  12. #12thepumpguysc2013-12-27 12:12

    I know what you mean alrman and you are correct BUT.. I'v seen it done useing a dial indictor and a magnetic base w/ the pump held firmly in a vise.. I guess it would work in a pinch.. Personally I have the correct tools. Still waiting on those #'s so I can give you the correct lift dimension..

  13. #13Dj leacy2013-12-27 13:42

    The tag is a little damaged at the end but I got number underneath VfA 12f11001942

  14. #14Dj leacy2013-12-27 14:28

    Ok pumpguy the tag is a little damaged at the end but we think the last diget is 4 So the number is 0460424274..???

  15. #15thepumpguysc2013-12-27 14:45

    That is correct.. 0 460 424 274.. VE4/12F1100L942.. Lock timing is outlet "A" with a lift of 1.25mm.. {min 1.230mm... max 1.270mm** What that means is.. looking at the drive shaft.. the key way should be pointing to the outlet "A".. its marked on the head where the lines hook up.. Remove the center bolt in the head[12mm].. useing a metric dial indicator preload the indicator inside the hole, move the driveshaft slightly left and right to find base circle or the lowest part of the cam..and zero your guage.. Once you 0 the guage turn the drive shaft TO THE LEFT [looking at the driveshaft.. drive shaft is facing you] until your guage reads 1.25 and lock the bolt.. Its VERY IMPORTANT you turn the d.s. in the correct direction.

  16. #16thepumpguysc2013-12-27 15:26

    HOLD THE BUS!! I was looking at the 275 instead of the 274.. Lock timing is 1.1mm outlet "A"..{min 1.080mm-max 1.120mm**... all else is the same.. sorry for the confusion..TPG

  17. #17Dj leacy2013-12-27 18:36

    Ok just to check port A is to the right as your looking At the pump shaft r say around 1 o clock port a is the feed for no 1 injector That's where u want the key way to b opposite ?

  18. #18thepumpguysc2013-12-27 23:22

    I'm not sure where "A" is.. its either at 1:00 or 10:00 It depends on the pump... its marked/stamped on the back end of the pump.. I hope this isn't to confusing.. SOMETIMES the dr/sh end of the housing is marked w/ a "slash mark"..by the dr/sh seal.. so you know where "A" is..

  19. #19Dj leacy2013-12-28 12:41

    Brilliant spot on did exactly as you sed we set the pump with the dial gage to 1.1 found the A port The tdc button under the pump .tdc point on the nh is fire point set that One thing is you might have to do two revaluations of the fly wheel to get fire point How you now is u remove lift pump and if there's two little strokes opposite each other That's fire point on number 1 if not that's fire point for number 4 go one more turn to u c the 2 strokes On the cam with the tdc button in two strokes visible in lift pump window refit pump Cross fingers and hit that button and bingo your back digging thanks a lot guys couldn't of done it on my own

  20. #20thepumpguysc2013-12-28 12:52

    Thanks for the update.. Glad I could help..