Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP! Bobcat S185 Not starter

Tihon0408 · 2013-12-21 08:28

I have a 2003 Bobcat S185, 2000 hours operation. I has a strange problem...'sometimes' it won't start!, it does not do this each and every time we try to start it. Sometimes it starts just fine...other times, when we turn on the key switch, nothing happens,If we leave the key on...it will sometimes go thru the beep and glow plug process and then finally start. It is very random...but extremely irritating, because we all know - when you really need the machine, is the time it won't start! Below video attachments. Please help! ​ [video=youtube;eOUq4Z6R7xI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I6UI_ziipQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Replies5
  1. #1zlssefi2013-12-21 08:54

    seems like you have a bad battery connection. Remove and clean all of your battery connections, as well as the starter connections. if that doesnt work, you may have a burnt spot in the starter.

  2. #2Tihon04082013-12-21 10:47

    I check your battery terminals and clean all of battery connections, next check fuses and relay

  3. #3willie592013-12-21 11:36

    If you've checked battery connections and pulled fuses and relays out and checked the fuse/relay terminals for signs of melting/high amperage, and have found no problems there, the next thing I'd check is the power supply going to the cab. Raise the cab and support cab and make sure the safety prop engages. Locate the fat bundle of wires that comes out of the back corner of cab, follow that wiring harness down to the belly of machine. Where that cab harness meets the lower frame harness (should be on top of hydraulic reservoir) you'll find a large harness connector. Disconnect that connector and check/inspect the pins/sockets inside. I can't say for certain which wire you need to check without knowing machine serial number, but you're looking for the wire that sends power to the cab. It's likely to either be a red wire, a red/white wire, an orange wire, or a white wire marked 1900.

  4. #4Tihon04082013-12-21 21:01

    I checked looking for the wire that sends power to the cab, and have found no problems there.

  5. #5Harrydude2013-12-24 09:01

    What year is your machine. And it has a fuel pull solenoid check with key on that you have power there....and ground. Check fuses relays next but only if you do not have power there. You can also shoot power direct to the fuel pull solenoid. Do you have a power probe tool? I had an issue with an a300 with a broken wire in the harness leading to the fuel pull solenoid. The mechanic before me was a parts changer and just changed out the solenoid and guess what did not fix it. I had to take the me chine apart to get the the ecu and trace the harnesses. By I will say the bobcat dealer was cool in sending me the diagrams. But it was not an easy fix. Good luck. Were are you located?