Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

help building a firewood processor

stumpjumper83 ยท 2011-12-10 21:24

So I'm working on building a firewood processor from scratch... I need a hotrod chainsaw for dropping blocks. Anyone have one of those 250cc dirtbike motor powered chainsaws? Or know how to build them?

Replies9
  1. #1j.k2011-12-11 09:31

    hi dont know if this is any http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vVt3Mdasyfg help there is a tread about it hear as well http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24350&highlight=firewood+processor

  2. #2stumpjumper832011-12-11 11:43

    thanks, thats one is cool for like homeowner use. I wanna step it up notch to like the blackstone beaver one on youtube or even this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS3H0vM5OP4&feature=related

  3. #3stumpjumper832011-12-21 19:38

    update - due to costs of bars and dirtbike motors, I looked into a large circular saws 4'+, and I scored a deal on a used 52" for $100 So now I guess I'll be using a large circular. According to youtube... 200x longer between sharpening, & no oiling the bar. Time will tell.

  4. #4alco2011-12-24 12:54

    One downside to running a large circular saw, is that if you manage to damage it, it's not a simple fix like changing out a chain. That being said, for the kind of price you mentioned, you can't really lose. I'd really like to build a firewood processor some day, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get the time.

  5. #5Choker man2011-12-25 12:20

    Sounds like the 52 in. saw was a GREAT score. Would the teeth be replaceable, locked in with wedge?

  6. #6stumpjumper832011-12-25 12:27

    Well it s a b-8 style blade, 44 tooth. Replaceable keepers and bits, set up for rip cutting... might have to get a slasher blade thats set up for going cross grain, not sure yet.

  7. #7fyrwood guy2011-12-26 11:40

    carbide toothed circular saw is the way to go, i just replaced my teeth after hitting a bolt. i got 1250+ cords out of mine with no sharpening!!!

  8. #8stumpjumper832011-12-26 18:22

    Project is being drawn up in auto-cad now. Hopefully I'll have a complete materials list by the end of Jan. Target completion date is mid summer...

  9. #9fyrwood guy2011-12-30 00:20

    here's a close-up pic of my current saw blade.......it's the best one yet!