Is any one else still using a Terex in their logging operations? Here is our 8230B. 8V71T powered. Still does daily duty as the backline anchor, and any earthwoks required.
nice bulldozer Ive seen one working once they good old machines don't they run the same engine as tmy 50 hauler how many hours is on that unit looks in good condition
Terex Dozers There are several contractors here in northern California that have terex dozers, both winch equipped and one has a swinging grapple. I believe they are 8230's, and I don't know what year, though I do know they have had them for quite some times. Interstate Tractor had a dealership here in Arcata and sold Terex and Westcoast Yarders.
I worked for one of those contactors of which redwood climber speaks of,they have 4, a really old 8230, a 8230b with some big Detroit shovedin it by them,and I think the other two are 600s or 800s(d6 size) one with a winch and other with a swinger,anyway my experience with the old green machines is if you can't hear them they're broke down and if you can hear them they're stuck
they seem like a good machine for what they do being a tail hold and roading when i saw it working the track speed seemed a bit slow,it made a lot of noise but didn't move very fast. its funny how they have had the single cylinder for years and only now the people who basically invented the bulldozer have put single cylinder blade lift on there cat d7e, so terex must have done something right
Log Frog, Its time you put up the pictures of the rear green iron you saw this summer. cc
I have some good videos of moving the tailhold Terex for a Skagit BU80 in North Oregon, will post on youtube when I have time!
Tons of Terex A rare sight,taken recently.video walk around at http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill?ob=0#p/u/5/wxQ-aQTcVxM
Did we by chance see these machines in the background of a photo in another thread here a while back?
Tell us about the tower in the back also please.....thank you Photo King!
When I first started in the logging industry at Gold River in 1969 the division had a Terex 8230..........or....was there a model 8232??? 'cause I want to remember that number for some reason. Anyway, you barely knew it was on the claim as it never broke down, just worked away every day. Best thing was the planetary set-up as opposed to the Cat final drive assemblies and I recall clearly that when the company was looking to buy another dozer a few of the guys lobbied long and hard for another Terex but the company went with a new D-8. That D-8 broke the final drive before it had a week of work done and sat in the shop for a few days while Finning repaired it. I remember the Finning rep literally sneaking into the shop to inspect the machine after it was lowbedded back in. Lots of embarassment from Finning and the Cat proponents as I recall. Should have bought another Terex. LOL Take care.
Yes the old Terex cats were pretty good machines, there is still one going here but it is pretty worn out.
Terex D700A Still work the chip pile, looks like the newer model before they quit making them. old M&B unit?
Cab looks very much like the CAT D7G? - D8H and D9G of the 80's ROPS. Was they really so similar?
The cabs were likely all made by the same outfit, Tube-Lok.
I haven't seen a 82-30 B model set up like this before with the smaller C-6 planetaries and the odd looking hydralic system
8230B with stump splitter
more green machines some old road builders?
Gotta love those old double-breasted Yamahas.
Shared pic of Terex logging truck that Elk River Timber tried out.
Cool! More green!!!!
These trucks could be Tretheway trucks as in Cattermole & Tretheway before Cattermole joined up
Awesome pictures, good to see "unicorns" still in service. When I was young I ran a 7F on a road building crew, when we were pulling fill out of a borrow pit I would push fill a pair of TS14's. Oh what a noise, those 2 green leakers would drown out my 3306 under heavy load, deafening. Anyway the county we were working for had an old 8230 parked in the corner of the yard, faded and slowly rusting away. A sad sight. Talked to the yard foreman and he told me it hadn't ran in years. That was back in the early 80's.