I am looking to upgrade my current triaxle 9 ton trailer to a 15 ton tandem tag trailer. I need the trailer to be 30' long including the 5' beavertail, with pintle hitch, and electric brakes. I'm using a GMC 7500 to pull it and it and it does not have air. I am using the trailer to move a Bobcat T190 and Bobcat E42 with a few extra buckets/attachments. These 2 machines weight about 18000lbs together plus the weight of a few attachments. I am looking for a good trailer for $15,000 or less, I've looked at cam superline, gatormade, PJ, Corn Pro, Millano and maybe a couple more. I have NO IDEA what one is a good trailer and what one isn't. I've done a lot of research on trailers and it always seams that each brand has a few haters and haters always seem to be the most vocal. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
I've had a few Eager Beavers over the years--always were good to me as is my present 10 ton Evans trailer.Look for structural details like pierced frame rails and the beefiness of those rails.Beaver tail angle,apitong or oak decking,amount of tie downs,type of lighting also should be scrutinized.
I have a Betterbuilt 50K+ tag, a TrailKing 12K lb, a Trailer World 14K gooseneck and a skid steer trailer I can't remember who makes it. Out of the trailers I have owned, the Trailking is by far and away the best made trailer. I have always heard good things about Eager Beavers but never owned one. This is what my recommendation would be - http://www.trailking.com/trailers/?trailer_id=18 Just be sure when you are comparing Manufacturers, you look at how they rate the payload on the trailer. Not all 10 ton trailers will haul 10 tons, some manufacturers rate their trailers less the weight of the trailer, so a 10 ton less 2500 lb trailer weight for example, would only give you 17,500 lb of payload. TrailKing rates their trailers for the payload they carry.
thanks, i sent an email to trailking, we'll see what they come up with. Ive contacted PJ trailers today as well, might go with these guys, decent price and from the reviews Ive read on them, seem to be a decent trailer...
The specs I looked at didn't, and I don't recall seeing anyone rate a vehicle like that. Another thing that's rarely included on smaller trailers in the rating is the weight you carry on the pin/ball/pintle. GVW is usually just the axle rating.
http://www.trailking.com/trailers/files/TK_Tag_Trailers-2.pdf Third page down - payload capacity under Standard Equipment:cool2
I have a 20 ton Eager Beaver (2000) which as been a good trailer. I just bought a Felling 6 ton tilt deck for skid steers and minis. I am very pleased with the trailer. I paid 7500 for the Felling and have no regrets. My research indicated trail king was also a very good trailer. Research the trailer posts on this forum and you will learn a lot. Someone here had a rough time with a Cam Superliner. Dexter axles apparently have readily available parts. So if it doesn't have Dexters that would be an issue for me. Good luck
I would second the Trail King. I have this 25T triaxle Trail King that I use to transport a 160 primarily. However I also use it to haul a mini ex and skid steer. I also think Towmaster is an excellent trailer OEM. They also rate their trailers by their actual capacity. Very well built and well thought out.
anyone have an idea what a 12 or 15 ton trailking is worth? I have sent them an email, just waiting for a reply...
I browsed Truck Paper and found this one - http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3177497& I am not familiar with the importation regulations and whether it would be worth your while to buy a trailer from the US, however the one in the link above is a decently priced 2003 model at $6900.
i have been looking for used ones but it is very hard to find one that is 30' long with electric brakes. For me to buy something out of the states is the same as buying locally, canadian dollar is basically the same as the USD, I would just have to pay the taxes at thr boarder.
so I think i have it narrowed down to either a PJ or Gatormade trailer. The other guys dont seem to interested in taking my $15,000. My gatormade dealer that I was talking with said that he could take a 12 ton trailer and upgrade the tires to a heavier tire which would enable him to rate the trailer for 30,000lbs instead of 24,000lbs. Even though the axels stay the same...? Not sure about how that works, or if I'd just be overloading and wrecking my new trailer... Both PJ and Gatormade have quoted me around 13000+tax for basically the same trailer.
Did you try J C Trailers in Keswick, Ontario. I have one of there tag a long trailers thats rated for 48000 lbs it has been a good trailer and well built cause i have had as much as 70000 lbs on it and never had any troubles.
How much is a jC trailer worth? Thanks for the tip!
They manufacture them there and you can order what ever you want, I went there and looked at there trailers and plans and then they built the trail the way i wanted it with a 8'6" x 30' deck,3' beaver tail, and 5' ramps, tri axle with duals, Idid not have a truck with air brakes at the time and did not want electic brakes so i went with vaccum over hydralic, Was just a small vaccum pump to install on the truck that was belt driven. That was 20 yrs ago now and i still have the float, never had any trouble with the frame only been painted once and looks like new, have broke a lot of springs and blown tires but thats my fault for over loading it, No idea what they are worth now but i paid $17 k back then but it was worth it
I called them, they didnt seem too interested. They gave me a phone number to arbour welding, and told me to talk to Arbour welding about trailers and if that didnt work out to call them back. Seems like another company that is not interested in my money... I think I'm going to order a PJ trailer, they have been good to deal with and I have read some really good reviews on them. They also have no problem building the trailer the way I want it... anyone have some more info on PJ trailers?
We have two Kaufman tag trailers at work. We have a tri axle 35000gvw electric braked trailer. They tow real nice. The only thing to watch for with these guys if you spec a new trailer make sure to ask for dexter axles and brakes. Right now were trying to figure out wich axles are under neath ours because there not 10000lb dexter axles like they said.
When I first bought my larger mini (12K machine) I needed a bigger trailer. I bought a 20', 14k PJ. I used it for one year and sold it. It was a complete POS. It just was not built well enough. The first time I drove the Takeuchi up on to the trailer the ramps bent. The hitch mount was too light. I dont think that all PJ trailers are built like the one I had but, I am done with PJ trailer.
Have you checked out JC trailers ? .... i'm thinking they're maybe in your back-yard ..... they are located in Keswick Ont. ......a local Contractor out here has a single axle double drop low-bed w/ a jeep and booster that he adds when the road restrictions come on this time of year .... I know you are looking for a pintle hitch and not a king-pin style, but this trailer the way it was custom built for him REALLY impressed me ........... Check them out .... www.jctrailers.ca
Craft, if you look back in this thread I posted about them. I called them and they passed me on to some welding shop as soon as I told them what I was looking for. Guessing they don't make those kind of trailers anymore?? But thanks for the tip!
I thought I had updated this thread about this but I guess I didn't... I actually ordered a pj trailer yesterday, hopefully kssss isn't right... they seam to me to be the only ones around other then gatormade that has any interest in selling me a trailer. Maybe because I'm looking for a odd trailer weight and length? Not sure but from what I've seen and heard about pj (other then kssss) they seam to make pretty good trailers. I ended up ordering a 30' with 2 12,000lb dexter axels. Hopefully it serves me well!
Sorry about that !.... ..... must of missed that.... ....... by chance did you check out Snake River Trailers ? ..... I just bought one 2 weeks ago it's a 12 ton tandem dually gooseneck 20'+5'.... I was down to 3 brands, the one I bought:thumbsup, Big-Tex and Trail Tech (made in Saskabush):canada ....it came down to the most responceable reputable dealer ..... woulda bought the Trail Tech but they had no stock and an 8-12 week delivery:cool2 ...out here we did not hear anything great 'bout the PJ's .... a few complaints and a few don't go there kinda stuff ..... alot had to do with the dealer I suspect. Am SUPER Happy with the choice I made .... works great ..... How long before you get to see yours ?? ....... cheers for now
hauling trailer with a med / heavy duty truck requires a trailer with a HUGE frame like Ksss has pictured. If you dont get the overbuilt type trailer like a trail king your going to find it will bend the frame when it loaded heavy on the draw bar. There is way to many 10K ~ 17,000 lb trailers used forsale that have welds on the draw bar area from pulling it with a heavy duty truck that can deal with 8000 lbs put on the back of the frame and bend or flex the trailer to the point where it cracks in high stress area. Thats why when you look at trailers look at the axel placement if they in the middle chances are the trailer is designed to handle lighter loads and be pulled with light or med duty trucks. I have a 6 ton eager beaver that I pull with a 2500 hd, its bulit like it could handle 8 ton if the truck could carry more on the draw bar. I has a 8" I beam construction that you dont find in lighter trailers. Trail king or eager beaver make high end very well built units , towmaster is a good choice but not as heavy construction. If possible I would look into a trailer that has 17.5" tires , yes it going to be slightly more money but the tires in the 16" class ALL SUCK. None of them are really any good that are built in china , they all have blow outs when they are run at the side wall rateings. 17.5 tires are truck tires and will hold up.
Here is a picture PJ sent me so I could see what the trailer would look like. This is a 25' unit, mine is a 30'. Due to the extra 5' they use a larger Ibeam 19lb if i remember right, frame bridging is also standard on any trailer longer then 25'. Hopefully it is a good trailer....
looks real nice. Can i ask price. I too am in the market for a heavy duty trailer and No seems to respond. *** is with these trailer people ?
trailer was right around $13,000+tax I guess trailer companies are doing really well and dont want to sell anymore.... I couldnt beleive it either, PJ was the only one that seemed interested. Now I just hope that the trailer is a good one...