Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help! Can anyone identify this forklift??

Tom Sticpewich · 2023-06-22 19:08

It’s a Komatsu as you can see but it has no model number or ID plates , can anyone identify if for me or the engine?

Replies4
  1. #1OzDozer2023-06-22 21:31

    Hi Tom - Your forklift is a mid-to-late 1980's Komatsu FD40-4. The engine is a model 6D95L-1. There should be (or have been) an ID plate on the lower part of the front of the "firewall" (the angled upright plate behind the mast), with the Komatsu name and symbol and model number on it. If that plate is gone, the model and serial number are stamped with a letter/number stamp on the flat part of the chassis, just near to the hydraulic tank breather and your socket set. These stamped letters/numbers will read something like, "FD-40-4 XXXXXX, with "F" standing for "Forklift", "D" for diesel engine, "40" being the load capacity in "short tons" (i.e. - 4 short tons or 8000lbs or 3630kgs), and "XXXXXX" being the forklift serial number. The engine should have an aluminium tag riveted to the side of the block (can't recall which side now), as shown in the photo below.

  2. #2Tom Sticpewich2023-06-23 05:25
  3. #3Tom Sticpewich2023-06-23 05:28

    Hi Ozdozer Cheers for all that information. I found an engine number stamped into the block and you were spot on about the engine number as you can see in the pic. Unfortunately I can’t find the chassis number anywhere. I’m going to have to get some injectors for it as well at a head gasket as one of the injectors is Siezed in and I can’t get the nozzle out. There is a fair bit of dust in the intake so a hone and some rings are in order also. I hope I can’t get parts ok

  4. #4OzDozer2023-06-23 07:48

    Tom, you shouldn't have any trouble getting parts for that old girl, but aftermarket suppliers will possibly be the best source. 1. Komatsu Australia could be worth a try, but they will be the most expensive, and you'll possibly have to wait for parts, "ex-Japan". 2. The Chinese can provide plenty of 6D95L-1 parts off eBay. 3. TVH is a fairly good source of forklift parts, but I'm unsure of their Komatsu parts supply. Buy spare parts & accessories online with MyTotalSource | TVH Australia www.tvh.com You'll need to scrape the paint on the flat surface of the chassis to find the serial number.