Hello, I was trying to get a heavy tree stump out of a stream, digger on a steep slope, quite warm here today, front bucket and back legs down and the motor stopped, the low engine oil light was illuminated, never seen that happen before. I checked the oil level it shows over full but that is likely because it is on a slope, not long since I checked the level, the engine runs clean as a whistle, never a puff of smoke there should not be a problem there. Could it be that it has just overheated, I don't want to put more oil in, that could be disastrous. I can't pull it out with a tractor because the front bucket and legs are down. Can someone tell me which cable senses the oil level and maybe, if I can disconnect that temporarily it will start. The digger normally starts very quickly and easily. Thank you members in anticipation.
Im sure others have other ideas and I'm not a Case man but I would think that if you put the lever to the back legs in the up position it would let the machine down then maybe with a comealong pull them up somemore? Same thing with the bucket. It works that way with my Kubota. Good luck.
Im sure others have other ideas and I'm not a Case man but I would think that if you put the lever to the back legs in the up position it would let the machine down then maybe with a comealong pull them up somemore? Same thing with the bucket. It works that way with my Kubota. Then try pulling it out. I dont think i would try to start it the way it is without checking it first. Good luck.
Of course when the engine stops for any reason the low oil pressure light will be on, since the engine isn't running. Also AFAIK there is no murphy switch on the oil pressure, it's just a warning light. I doubt you are steep enough that the engine wont pick up oil. I have that same 3.9L Cummins in a Case dozer and I've had it on 1:1 slopes without problem, things are getting pretty crazy if you have a backhoe on something that steep. Did you run it out of fuel on that steep angle? Water in the fuel tank/filter that got pulled into the system from the angle? When you try to restart it does it even crank? When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel shutoff solenoid at the injection pump click?
Thank you for your replies. Surely if it had run out of fuel, it would not have stopped the starter working. Here is the plan: I will add some fuel to the tank just in case the slope has caused a cut off. To stop a diesel engine when it is running, you just cut off the fuel supply by means of the cut off switch on the fuel pump, with the ignition on I will check for current at the pump, I suspect there will be none. I plan on running a positive cable directly from the battery to the fuel pump cut off switch to allow the fuel to flow. Then, with the ignition on, I will take a cable from the positive on the side of the starter to the solenoid connection underneath to get the starter to turn, then I will see what happens, and I will post the result later.
What do they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? Went to digger checked there was no voltage at the diesel pump cutoff with the ignition off, 0v. OK, so went and turned on ignition, same warning lights showing, went back and checked the voltage at the pump, 12v. I had not topped up the diesel, but I thought, just give it a go, and VROOOM it started like normal. Got the digger on the flat and checked the oil level, up to the line! What is going on? This is most likely my last post about the digger, it is 36 years old, less than half my age, I have had it for 15 years, most of the time it just sits there waiting to work, but when it is needed it is invaluable. A garage scammed me when I bought an old BMW for my wife, and they then closed down, I lost 8000 euros, which I cannot afford so I have had to sell the digger to fill the gap it is due to be collected next week. I still have a Case 485 tractor. I thank the valued help from the members who have got me out of a problem from time to time.
I’d rather have a Case 580K, even a Euro one, than a BMW! Lol
I would much rather have a rabid ferret than another BMW.
Sounds like an electrical issue to me, being on a steep angle something could have gotten crossed/shorted/grounded. Or your fuel cut-off solenoid could be failing, high heat doesn't do them any favors. Regardless of why it shut off, to start there are a few electrical related things that need to happen, first you turn the key on, fuel cut-off solenoid on fuel injection pump has to open, then the interlock switches need to close to allow the key to engage the starter. The main interlock is on the forward/reverse shuttle, if the switch isn't working or if that lever isn't dead center you won't even get a click when you turn the key. Obviously and bad connections in the circuit could cause the same outcome. If it cranks fine but doesn't start (no smoke out the exhaust) that is when you start looking at the fuel cut-off solenoid.
As I said on a previous post I was aware that the cutoff valve needed power, which is why I checked it first, all gear levers were of course in neutral, when I had starter relay issues I did the short between starter main positive connection and relay contact. Anyway it works now, down to the new owner next week if other problems arise, I have tried my best, whether that was good enough or not, who is to say. Thankyou all.