Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP got two on hold, which should I pull the trigger on.

TDog77 ยท 2013-04-13 09:31

So I have been searching pretty hard for a while now and have it narrowed down to two machines and they are the makers I am going to go with for dealer support etc, so no "well those both suck and you should get a blank". Option 1. 2008 John Deere 325 that came from a large farm outfit that really takes care of their equipment and trades a ton with this particular dealer. It has an open station with side windows and heat, one speed, manual attach and about 680 hours and is in what I would consider pristine shape, the best I have seen over the past while by a long shot. They want 26200 for it. Option 2. 2008 New Holland L180 with about the same hours, open station, two speed, manual attach and I don't know the history as much since the dealer bought a couple of semi loads of misc. equipment from another dealer; the owner has used it at his house for some time and says it is a strong runner etc. (did not expect to hear anything else) and I would say the condition is about 70 percent compared to the other. I think they would take 23000 or very close for this one. I have them both on hold for the day and need to decide by this evening. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1maddog2013-04-13 10:46

    Just kidding, If it were me I'd go with your option 1, sounds like a nicer machine plus you know the history. I bought a machine yrs back that looked okay but the dealer really didn't know much about it.................long story short it cost me a boat load on unseen parts, internal cobb jobing.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2013-04-13 15:56

    Of the two you listed, I'd choose the Deere. More power, better condition and peace of mind. The only disadvantage I see is single speed vs. 2 speed. I've been away from the new market for a while and I'm wondering how close these prices are to a new machine? Most manufacturers have buying incentives that are VERY attractive. I got a card last week from Cat listing interest free financing for 5 years on compact equiment! It might be worth looking in to. I did a quick calculation and if a new machine is $30,000 you're only 15% away from that with the Deere price.

  3. #3barklee2013-04-13 19:08

    I would agree with that. If you're willing to get in that deep, a little further for new might be much more attractive.

  4. #4SkidRoe2013-04-13 19:14

    I always maintain that a used machine is typically as good as its last owner. Since you know the history of the Deere, all other things being equal (which obviously they are not), I would go with the Bob.... I mean Deere!! LOL

  5. #5KSSS2013-04-14 11:41

    The price seems high on the Deere, If you could get it priced in the low 20"s it would be more attractive. That machine is 5 years old.

  6. #6cartzblown94z2013-04-14 22:22

    Deere, but beat the price down

  7. #7TDog772013-04-16 19:49

    Working on it now! I agree it is high, especially after pouring through the adds a little further out.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2013-04-16 20:28

    That was my thought too. If you're not in a rush, keep shopping harder, you should be able to find a decent machine for under $20K. That's why I was looking at new cost.

  9. #9stumpjumper832013-04-16 22:16

    my thoughts exactly

  10. #10TDog772013-04-22 20:32

    Went and picked up a 2008 Deere over the weekend that was a one farmer owned and maintained unit with 1050 hours on it in very good shape but not excellent. It needs new tires and I picked up a set of used hulks and wheels in the same area that were in really good shape for 600. I got the Deere for 18,500 and feel relieved to have saved about 8000 over the other deere option. That 8000 more was for a truly pristine unit but now I have some dough for attachments etc and did not have to finance anything, phew. Thanks for the help all.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2013-04-22 20:53

    Good job!! Those hours are still low and that price is much better in today's market

  12. #12TDog772013-04-22 20:59

    Thanks, I am excited and will spend this weekend changing all the filters, oil etc.