Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help heater problems

Old Doug · 2020-11-03 20:11

I have a buddy that has a 2001 chevy pickup. He bought it a year ago to drive back and forth to dialysis. The heater isnt very hot. We have flushed the core 3 times one time we put a cleaner in it over night. The heater hoses one is hot you cant hold it very long the other is a little cooler not much. The filters have been removed and replaced. The door from ac to heat is working. The temp gauge runs just under 200. I hate to pull the box from under the dash but that seems like the next step. Any ideals?

Replies11
  1. #1Junkyard2020-11-03 20:43

    Do you have a stepper motor not opening a valve somewhere to allow coolant flow? Does it have dual zone climate control or something electronic like that? We have issues with the GM products at work and it’s usually something like that.

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-11-03 20:54

    Have you changed the cabin filter ? Slip a piece of cardbord under it before pulling it out or all the crap falls into the fan impeller. Chipmunks (ground squirrels) and mice love to build nests on them.

  3. #3Old Doug2020-11-03 21:30

    I dont think it has a valve in the hoses. It dosent have dual climate the other guy at the shop replaced a door motor on it. Another guy bought a pickup that had a cracked head. He replaced the engine and the heater wouldnt work. I flushed the core and it blows plenty of heat its fillters were very dirty. I have more work than i can handle so i hate to spend the 8 hours replacing the core unless i have to.

  4. #4Delmer2020-11-07 17:46

    If the heater hoses are both hot, like you say they are, then the cooler is not blocked on the water side. Is there good airflow from the fan on high? probably clogged up with trash on the air side of the heater core, sometimes you can get creative with access and vacuum the crud off the heater core. I'd find a chevy truck forum and see what they suggest for access.

  5. #5Old Doug2020-11-07 18:17

    He left it at the shop and i havent had time ti look at it but thats what i have been thinking.

  6. #6Old Doug2020-11-14 19:25

    I stayed late today and worked on some stuff that i hadnt been able to get to one was the heater. I took the auctuator off the blend door and moved it with pliers it went so far then had a catch then went some more. The heat comeing out of the duct went from 80 to over 120 degres . I am going to drive it home tomorrow with the door like it is and maybe put the auctuator back on with it unpluged and let him use it like that till winter is over.

  7. #756wrench2020-11-15 10:44

    if junk gets dropped down the defroster outlets, it may eventually shake down to a blend door and cause it to jam or have limited travel.

  8. #8Old Doug2020-11-15 11:44

    Theres a cover door that i think i can run a camera in to see if anything is there.

  9. #9Old Doug2020-12-09 19:23

    I finly got to run a camera in the heater. It was viagra causing the door not to close.

  10. #10_Weldman_2020-12-10 00:31

    Must of really had a "hard" time trying to close, I can relate to that with my zipper

  11. #11Welder Dave2020-12-10 11:41

    How much Viagra do you have to buy to get a free pen?