Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Distance apart three red identification lights

PeterG ยท 2020-11-07 12:16

I'm removing the identification lamp bar and installing three 2.5" red lamps. I'm trying to find out how far apart they need to be center to center standard for a Kenworth dump truck. DOT says centers not less than 6" and not more than 12". Thinking about 8" apart center to center. Does anyone know what it should be? I've looked at a lot of trucks and trailers and they all seem different. I'm installing 2.5" dia Maxxima LED's. What's the best way to wire it up too? I have the lamps, gaskets, and 2 pin plug. Also need to wire in a License plate light. This is in WA State if that makes a difference. .

Replies5
  1. #1_Weldman_2020-11-07 12:32

    Makes a big difference, it will be legal one day and illegal the next day fun part is guessing which day they choose to make it either or. Put it as how you want, Washington state doesn't care about lights as long as you have the basics you are fine. You should see the log trucks over on the Peninsula, you get lucky if they have two!.

  2. #2DMiller2020-11-07 13:27

    WHY remove the Clearance/ID Lamps, tail lamps are NOT qualified as such if already in use as Tail/stop lamps. ONLY TractorTrailer Semi is excluded from ID Lamps https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/tex...ote - 4 Any semitrailer or,of the lamp on the

  3. #3Truck Shop2020-11-07 13:31

    7"

  4. #4Jonas3022020-11-07 13:33

    I would probably keep them tight at 6 inches rather than spread all the way across the bumper Be aware that they make sealed led surface mount units that can replace your light bar directly License lamp is wired in with the clearance lights usually

  5. #5PeterG2020-11-07 15:16

    All the nice modern dump trucks around here have the three larger dia lamps, as opposed to a light bar which is typically seen on medium duty trucks. Around here it rains a lot, and the more bright LEDs lights behind the truck the better. We are also adding amber warning lights and back up/work lights to the rear side of the box. We purchased some Kenworth Paccar lighted rocker switches at $100 ea (ouch), with the correct symbol on them to keep the 2007 Kenworth T800 clean and correct. I did not know you can get the switches with Dome light, warning lights, and work lights. Might as well, as the dash has plenty of dummy switch locations and can be wired into the factory harness. No old toggles for me.