Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help, how to remove sprocket?

Welder Dave · 2019-06-27 01:04

With some help I got the wheel motor out of my skid steer. Everything was going great until it came time to remove the sprocket/e-brake hub from the old motor. 7 ton gear puller didn't do it so helper took it home and tried in a 20 ton press and applied some heat but not sure how much. Said it was smoking but a couple hundred deg's would smoke. Going to leave it overnight to see if it might loosen. Repair manual shows a gear puller being used. A friend of his who apparently works on stuff like this said it's frozen and to use a lance and destroy the shaft on the hyd. motor. This is NOT an option as I'm hoping the motor is repairable and I don't want to risk destroying the hub. A new one might not be available. I'm thinking of taking it to the Cat dealer and asking if they could remove it/press it off in a bigger press. It's a taper fit wheel motor shaft with a large key way. What's the best way to get it off without destroying anything?

Replies33
  1. #1Ronsii2019-06-27 01:09

    Keep a puller on it and start heat/cool cycles... might take a few days and a few more cycles. and of course spray it with anything good you can think of PB blaster/kroil/etc...

  2. #256wrench2019-06-27 01:53

    tapered anything needs force and a smack on the end of the puller with a 5lb hammer or bigger at least once or more. sometimes heat while the puller force is applied and then smack it, leave the nut flush with the end of the shaft if there is one to help prevent mushrooming the end of the threads. also prevents hub from flying off in your face when it does let go

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-06-27 07:34

    Sometimes applying an air chisel along with the puller will persuade it.

  4. #4Nige2019-06-27 07:52

    As above. Weight + impact is the best way I know to knock loose a taper. Neither one will work on its own, but combine the two and bingo.......

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-06-27 16:58

    Took the motor to the independent shop that have had work done at before. They got rid of most of the older mechanics and foreman there a few years ago. Had to give a deposit for 1 hour of labour at $168.00! In the past the one foreman would have just took it to the press or whatever and popped it off. If it took more than 5 minutes maybe charge me $20. I spent thousands of dollars in that shop over the years. I figured they'd get it off but had I have known, I could have bought or made a puller that I could pound on. Everything seems to be all about $$$ these days. No such thing as helping a little guy out anymore. The service manager/part owner of the motorcycle shop I used to deal with would always help people out with simple things that required a special tool. You need the cases split, no problem, have a nice day. When riders come to my track and need help with something, I help them as much as I can. You need your clutch adjusted or your front brake bled, that will be $10. Nobody would ever come back. Some complain about the $20 a day I charge for riding.

  6. #6Bls repair2019-06-28 13:49

    Had a guy complain about my rate for welding . Told him to buy welder ,grinders,rod,hood ,gloves ,truck ,welding blankets ,and so on and I would weld it for $20.00 PH .That ended conversation .

  7. #7Welder Dave2019-06-28 16:19

    If you had a customer that spent over $17,000 on your services and needed a 15/20 minute repair you would charge them a full hour? I went to pick it up and it wasn't ready. The guy said he's just freeing someone up to do it and give him 20 minutes. I went to the parts counter and got some new filters while I waited. Went back to check and they were just waiting for it to cool off enough to handle it. They heated it up and it popped right off. Cooling off took longer than removing the sprocket. So yeah I think $168.00 was a little excessive. I was only there for about 45 minutes and half of that was waiting for it to cool off.

  8. #8_Weldman_2019-06-30 00:58

    I personally would find another place if possible at this point or talk with the new owner/manager. If all else fails rant online to the masses.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2019-06-30 01:12

    I worked for a couple of business owners who never blinked at charges like that. Instead they just remembered it. Put yourself on the other side of the counter. Nobody likes to get complained at that they are too expensive. I just smile and walk. Then perhaps take my money elsewhere if there is a better value. Don't want anybody annoyed at me in case I need a real favor someday. They don't have to know you are shopping elsewhere.

  10. #10redneckracin2019-06-30 07:04

    I took some suspension bushings into the bigger local machine shop one Friday morning quite awhile ago in a similar situation. I didn't even own a press but their shop had atleast a 100 ton press if not much larger. The guy at the counter started talking set up fees for the press and dollars per hour to run it. I complained a little but I didn't have much choice since I was around 18 or so. I was also pretty sure I didn't need a large press to do the work. The guy took my parts and came back in about 10 minutes chuckling to himself. It didn't even take tons of pressure to remove them if I remember right. I gave him the 20 bucks he asked for since he didn't even know what to charge me and happily walked out. I never did take anything else in there, instead I found a much smaller shop who likes cash for quick easy projects. The smaller shop has since done atleast a dozen jobs for me that were cash and a handshake deals that were beyond my capabilities at home. I can usually stop in with either a sketch or the metal in hand marked up with what I want done where and just ask them if they are busy and how much to do it. It's a shame that the businesses seem to be run by accountants now instead of people.

  11. #11crane operator2019-06-30 08:32

    So he only charged you $20, and you were still upset? He's probably got a new policy of a minimum bill. If his guys are all busy on big projects, its hard to pull them away, and they can't do it for nothing, the employees cost too much. He's able to charge that for his regular projects, why should you get it for nothing? Sure you've spent $17,000 with him, but I don't know that it matters a lot. Expertise costs $. They've got a building, employee's, 100 ton press, and hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in tools that they rarely use, but they have a customer comes in that needs it, then they have to charge for using it. I had a guy last summer call, he needed gooseneck trailers unstacked down in arkansas. His regular guy couldn't do it, and he wants me to drive a hour each way, unstack the trailers, and pay me $200. Ain't happening. "well that's what my regular guy charges but he's broke down", I'm sorry about that, but my equipment don't run on sob stories. He's shocked- after all I have all these cranes and forklifts, why can't I do a little job for him, it won't take very long. After three more phone calls, (his arrival time changes three times on when the truck will be there), he offers to bring them to my shop, on a saturday night, and then I'll unload them for only $150, because I won't have to drive anywhere (he will have to do more driving, which will cost him more- so I'm going to do my part for less $ ) Its just a little fuel for me, I already have the crane, I can just fire up the crane and unload his trailers. By that time, I was kind of sick of his endless phone calls about it, had booked out time for him two different times in the schedule (which means I don't go out and do a different job- because I'm supposed to be doing his job), and I stuck to my minimum charge. And then I added overtime for saturday night. He was upset- why should it cost more just for saturday night? Got even more upset, and said he'd get someone else to do it, and someone else did. Bad business on my part? Sure, I could have made $150 that I didn't have before. But then everyone that he talks to "Oh, he only charges me $150 for unloading my trailers". I don't need that nonsense. Everybody gets the same price from me, and my customers know it. It makes it easier and I don't have to play "lets make a deal" with every guy that comes in. If one of my regular customers calls, and needs a crane on saturday night, they know I'm charging them a minimum, and overtime. They get it. I'm sorry your skidloader is broke dave, and I realize its expensive to fix it, but I think the guys complaining to you about the $20 for riding, are just like you complaining about the Cat man's prices. You know the track can't stay open without charging for it, but the young kid riders see the track and think "he already has the track, its just sitting there- why should he charge us for just riding around on it?" But you know that the skid loader is going to eventually need a repair, and fuel, and tires, and that all costs $$$, and its no difference for the "little guy" or a "big guy".

  12. #12Welder Dave2019-06-30 12:39

    I think it's more the new management. Most of the long term employees and foremen at this shop quit or were forced out within a 3 month period when new management took over. They were advertising for HD mechanics for close to a year after all the experienced ones left. Even took out radio ads. My guess is the word got out it wasn't the best place to work. I worked at a welding shop like that once. If they have a 1hr minimum charge they should post it on the wall so customers know up front. Wanting a deposit up front is a new one too. I don't pay, I don't get my parts back. Here's some reviews from former employee's and a current foreman at another location. Good corporation pre 2015 AB downturn Credit Manager (Former Employee) – Edmonton, AB – 27 August 2018 Corporation went through Alberta downturn with a negative approach to employee management and created an environment not conducive to employment security for staff regardless of seniority, job performance or ability. Do not work here Mechanic (Former Employee) – Edmonton, AB – 15 December 2017 The company perches safety as soon as you start but then you go down to the floor there is no tools to do the job properly your always looking for slings and other stuff you need to do your job and if you don't have lifting eyes and shackles in your tool box then you won't find any around the shop.There always in a hurry to get the job done Terrible management. Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) – Nisku, AB – 7 December 2017 Terrible place to work. Most Of the long term employees left within the Same three month period because of management. Service trucks are a joke, emberassing to get sent out in Manager at GP Is a puppet to Edmonton Shop Foreman /Master Mechanic (Current Employee) – GP – 25 June 2019 Sell to rip off on labour and more parts than needed.parts people are to sell sell sell and mechanics are required to replace more parts than required Pros Done at 4 Cons Putting up with a skinny parts person with a mouth

  13. #13redneckracin2019-06-30 13:28

    Nope I was perfectly fine with the 20 bucks, but I knew it was a very simple job and didn't need it on any time frame. I would have given him 50 bucks because it was sure cheaper than buying a press. I just didn't expect to be read the riot act for 5 or 10 minutes worth of work. A machine shop who regularly does work on mining equipment should have 0 issues with suspension bushings in a car.

  14. #14580bob2019-06-30 16:45

    all you guys complaining about paying for repairs should go into business for yourself,buy all all the tools, insurance overhead etc then you can complain about paying to have a small job done they disrupt your day most guys you will never see again and have no real idea what the real world is about. go stand in their shoes for a month with the new so called employee crybabies that don't want to start before 10, wont get dirty, cant tell them a thing, try to collect from all the deadbeats that owe you on and on then you will have an idea why they charge what they do if your track cant run at $20 per rider up the rate or shut it down that's reality

  15. #15Welder Dave2019-07-01 05:09

    If they were too busy, they could have said so. If they have a minimum charge they should have it posted like most other shops do. I left it with them and they wanted a deposit as well. What's up with that? Customers know Crane Operators rates up front so there are no surprises. Made it seem like it would take an hour and then only needs 20 minutes, half of which is so it can cool. I thought charging a full hour was a little much. That's it, that's all. I don't think the old foreman I dealt with would have charged me a full hour for 10 minutes of actual work. With some of the feedback I'm surprised a few of the posters on here aren't asking for money up front before they offer advice. Redneckracin understands what I'm talking about.

  16. #16John C.2019-07-02 19:24

    Minimum fees are usual and expected in most industries. I've told people in the past that got smart with me about price that I don't take the keys to my truck out of my pocket for less than $300. If you don't like it just don't go back. It's not worth the aggravation to come here and whine about something that is usual and customary anywhere.

  17. #17580bob2019-07-02 20:13

    yup just like when you tell someone that wants something cut with a torch how much it will be its like you are raping them where I am its $125 per bottle per year plus fill rental its not feasible to own your own as I have 3-4 on the go and need to use acetylene welcome to reality

  18. #18Welder Dave2019-07-03 00:34

    I have no problem with a minimum charge. Just wish the guy could have been upfront about a 1 hour minimum charge instead of making it sound like it was a big major operation. Not unlike redneckracin's experience. Something like we can get it off but there is a 1 hour minimum would have been a much better way of handling it. I don't know what the deposit upfront is all about. They've never needed a deposit before and I've never stiffed them. I guess I'm old school. Give a guy a break on a small simple job in the hopes they'll come back when they need a bigger job done. I need a couple hyd. cylinders worked on that could be well over $1000 but I'll take them elsewhere. The new foreman didn't know I was a repeat customer so that may have been a factor.

  19. #19thepumpguysc2019-07-03 07:43

    That is weird.. why would he want a "deposit" if he had your part.?? I get asked that all the time tho.. "u want a deposit to start on my pump.??" I say the same thing every time.. "Nope.. I've got your pump".. lol

  20. #20Welder Dave2019-07-03 13:20

    It was a totally different experience than when I dealt with the old foreman who worked there over 30 years. He was forced out along with several other long term foremen and senior employee's. 1 hour minimum, OK. Deposit up front? You think I'm not going to pay when you have my parts? It was a combination of things that turned me off. I think the new management is part of it but there are other shops I can take my business to. When I had some work done in the past the foreman would ask me to come in to see what the problem was and show me what had to be done. Then there were no surprises when the bill came. When the bolt hole stripped on my stick cylinder, they were going to make a new rod and weld the old eye on. I suggested maybe they could drill and tap the rod for a larger bolt and drill the piston bigger. He said that would work and would save me a couple hundred bucks. When I took my leaking rotary swing cylinder in to be repaired he called me once it was apart to show me the problem. The shaft had worn. I was thinking a new shaft was going to be ridiculously expensive if it was even available but he said it can repaired by metalizing which would be about $300. I was relieved but that's what I call good customer service. Not being upfront about a 1 hour minimum and wanting a deposit on top of it is not usual and I don't consider very good customer service.

  21. #21NeversweatConst2019-07-05 14:11

    I hear ya, but when I worked in a shop, we charged a one hour minimum. At the end of the month, you have to make a profit.

  22. #22Welder Dave2019-07-05 20:14

    Like I said, I have no problem with a 1 hour minimum. Just don't beat around the bush about it. The deposit when they have my parts in hand is like being accused of stealing. I could see a deposit on a large field repair where you still have access to your machine but not when it's sitting in their shop unless you have a history of not paying.

  23. #23580bob2019-07-05 22:16

    in the beginning I had guys bring in small jobs like yours I did the work then they wouldn't pay so I was stuck with it that's why they want the money up front probably burnt a few times that's the new reality dave welcome to 2019 and owing a real business everything costs in your mind you are a great guy but business owners have to watch out for themselves just to stay in business its sad but that's the way it is

  24. #24Welder Dave2019-07-06 00:02

    I was never treated like this in the past and I've never stiffed them. I've never been asked for a deposit anywhere expect when special ordering parts. My machine is dead without the drive sprocket for the motor. I realize a business needs to make money but sometimes they can do things to turn customers away too. I remember going to muffler shop to get some work done that also did light vehicle repairs and maintainence. A customer had BOOKED an appointment to get the oil changed on his Dodge Cummins diesel. He got there and they didn't have any diesel oil in stock so sent a guy out to get some. He didn't go up the road to the closest place but had to go to their supplier. It was the longest oil change in history. The guy was there for 5 hours! They charged him full pop with not so much as an apology. I doubt he'll over go back and I certainly never will after witnessing that. Poor customer service doesn't help a business.

  25. #25muzy2019-07-07 19:15

    Hey Dave, first thing that came to mind was " do you have a charge account with them? In today's changing society, often we find new management set out new rules for old staff to follow...... or get fired . Thought I read it all did not see if charge account was covered. muzy

  26. #26Welder Dave2019-07-07 20:42

    No charge account. In the past they always had their shop rate listed and charged an extra 3% or something if you used a credit card for payment. A lot of shops don't like the charges on credit cards so pass it on to the customer. He said it would take about an hour but couldn't do it right away. I had no problem at all leaving it with them. I mentioned I didn't realize it would take that long (an hour, not that I needed it right away). That's when he should have said they charge an hour minimum instead of his spiel about by the time we take in the back, etc., etc. I said OK I need it off and signed a work order. Then as I turned to go to the parts counter he said he needs to get a deposit. This was a first as I've never had to give them a deposit before. I dropped it off at 10am and went back about the noon the next day and it hadn't moved. He seemed a little nicer this day without the attitude and that's when he said to give him 20 minutes. They had my parts, I signed a work order, wasn't in a big hurry and he also wanted a deposit. When I picked it up he thanked me for the business. Maybe he realized he could have handled it a little better. It was enough I won't be going back to them for any service work.

  27. #27580bob2019-07-07 22:26

    dave let it go you are beating this to death you will end up with a heart attack over this carry on with life PLEASE

  28. #28Welder Dave2019-07-07 22:52

    I responded to a question. The bigger question is why are you still reading the thread.

  29. #29muzy2019-07-07 23:18

    Yea Id be turned off to, same day service-pay when work is complete? Cheers

  30. #30Batkom2019-07-08 01:32

    The deposit for an hourly rate before working on it is weird. But, as an owner of a machine shop with over 5 million invested equipment 9 employees and operation expenses of over $100,000.00 a month, there is no way we work on anything that is less than 1 hour shop rate. And to be honest- there is no way we would have even bothered with a project like yours- we can’t afford to take guys away from the jobs that are actually making a profit and paying the bills. Anyone who is not in business with a few employees, and all the overhead that follows, can truly comprehend the cost burden to keep the doors open. In the world of Amazon, China, and Walmart, we have a skewed sense of the cost of manufactured products. Ok done with my 2cents LOL!

  31. #31Tarhe Driver2019-08-08 17:47

    My hero, thepumpguysc wrote, "That is weird.. why would he want a "deposit" if he had your part.??" A response -- Maybe because the part-to-be-fixed had no value when not functioning as it was designed? Just wondering in South GA.

  32. #32TD242019-08-08 20:29

    Some advice I was given in 1979 when opening a forklift repair shop..... Your enemies won't trade with you... Your friends will want you to do it for nothing... You have to find you some customers... Do one thing... Do it well... Get you price for what you do... Collect your money instead of doing more work... Worked beautifully for 2 guys and myself tlll 1992 when sold.

  33. #33Bumpsteer2019-08-08 23:26

    Loml has a small cafe in our town, I found a damn good commericial referigation guy that does side work for $50 hour. I'm the happiest sob on the planet..... Ed