Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan Transaxle PS-151 planetary backlash

etd66ss ยท 2019-06-26 18:19

Wondering if there are any members here having experience with planetary steering axles, and what is normal for backlash. See this video: I'm working on the driveline of my Pettibone EL88 addressing some sad looking U-Joints. I noticed about 45 degrees of backlash from the pinion out to the wheels on both front and rear axles, both steering axles. Only a few degrees of the backlash feels like ring to pinion clearance, the majority seems to be at the wheel in the planetary hubs and maybe whatever steering CV joint there is. I have yet to look inside the planetary hubs. It looks like a heck of a lot of backlash to me, wondering if this is somewhat normal, or if it indicates some serious wear? I tried to check the oil in the planetary hubs, but none of them seem to have any oil on account of 40 year old seals leaking it all out...

Replies3
  1. #1Vetech632019-06-26 18:53

    The axle ujoints are famous for this.

  2. #2RZucker2019-06-26 21:37

    45 degrees on an old beast like that doesn't seem too bad. All the splines and other joints out to the wheels just magnify it. Check the steering u joints carefully and don't sweat the rest.

  3. #3etd66ss2019-06-27 05:40

    Ok, on multiple forums I'm receiving the same info, look at the steering U-Joints first... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fN5rvImBSyC08UEXM9sGQKeZ4miNPgj-/view?usp=sharing Item 36 on that breakdown. They look similar to the U-Joints on the drive shafts, which are 7C-4 LWT style. I do have to take off one of the steering housings to do some line boring on the steering pin bosses, will be a good opportunity to check one of the U-Joints I suppose.