Some Help Please. Have pics of a older AC Dozer seriously considering buying. Cannot find any plate to ID Model or VIN. Would like to establish info for parts replacement if needed. Can email pics for your review. I am a rookie regards heavy equip over and above Farm Tractors - this Dozer is just the right size for my cow operation. Thanks in advance for any and all help I can get. georgep
First, georgep, welcome to the forums! I moved your post to its own thread, in case somebody with AC knowlege might not be following the D-7 thread. If you have pictures, you can post them here, and save everyone the trouble of downloading them from email. Here's a thread that tells you how to post pictures here:
Dozer pics from georgep - need to I.D. Model. :notworthy Thankyew! Thankyew! All, for your help and advice - finally able to download pics of dozer I need to I. D. . Real great procedure for download ya just gotta have enough smarts to work it and you guys imputed the smarts - the next :drinkup is on me. :usa Salute! georgep
LOL! Now all you need to master is the art of posting the pictures in the right thread. I moved them here, from the "Posting pictures" thread, cause everybody that already knew how to post them probably won't be looking at that one again. Good luck. I'm sure somebody will have an answer...
Identify AC dozer Hi, first time to post here. Enjoy forum and read every day. I grew up running AC crawlers and still own some. Don't feel sorry for me, I kind of like them. The picture is of an HD-6 and looks to be an early model with early Buda engine complete with oil bath air cleaner and no turbo. Probably prior to 1963 or earlier. Think it has just 4 rollers in track frame. Don't think they had 5 rollers till about 1960. 57 hp and a good all around tractor if it runs and the undercarriage is useable. If you can find serial no. upper right hand corner back of final drive houseing and not covered up with winch I can tell you what year it is. Facory dozer and a good one.
yep looks like a allis chalmers HD6 ..ive a old HD7 (about 1943 model) & its a very tough little dozer.. ive heard they were even better with the Buda engine which yours would have
A-c Hd6 Hi, Georgep. As the previous posters said, that appears to be an HD6 with the Buda engine. The smaller A-C's were popular little tractors and, like some of the other makes, their smaller machines were not as prone to final drive failure as some of the larger models. You can find a LOT of help for parts and information at the Unofficial Allis site: http://www.allischalmers.com/ Hope this helps.
Looks to be a pretty good shape rig, I really like the home-built shade tree it has. I'm not too sure that Buda parts are readily available today, but Adams-DeWind Machinery can probably help you in that department. I am surprised that they do not seem to have a website.
AC Identity ? It is an Allis Chalmers HD6. It has the 4 cyl. D-344 (Buda) engine. The HD6A has 44" gauge, 34 links , 4 rollers The HD6B has 60" gauge, 34 links, 4 rollers The HD6E has 60" gauge, 37 links, 5 rollers Here is a book you can order and research on the Allis Chalmers / Fiat Allis . "Allis - Chalmers Construction Machinery & Industrial Equipment by Norm Swinford " Available from Motorbooks International 729 Prospect Ave PO Box 1 Osceola, Wis. 54020 Here's a list of the serial numbers and years.
Allis Chalmers / Fiat Allis Parts ? Here 's a good Parts source . http://minnpar.com/ Located in Minneapolis, Minn. 1-800-889-3382
I have a pretty nice 1957 HD6B I`ve had for over 20 years. It`s been a really great dozer for grounds upkeep around my 5 acres . It has the 344 Buda engine.With the regular good service I`ve given it, it`s been a really good trouble free dozer! I would post some pic`s but have read all I can on this site about posting attachments including the link above/no paper clip to click anywhere- and I guess I have to post 3 times 1st! Bob
Thanks to all!!! WOW! really appreciate all the replies and help. Diggger, Northart,Deas Plant,kennymopar, surfer joe & crayton. Your comments and advice have convinced me to pursue the purchase of this unit, if it will run, they can't find a key yet, but that is easily solved. Once I get more info as to serial #'s etc. The links and info for parts and tech material you have furnished me should round out whatever I need for now. Thanks again to all for your valued time and knowledge. :usa Salute! georgep
Here's another good resource for parts interchange: http://www.tpaktopc.net/allis_chalmers.htm I have an HD11S, I believe 1956 vintage. It starts every time, even when sitting for months! Buda 516 engine.
Yer welkum, Sir. Hi, GeorgeP. Yer welkum, Sir. Unless I'm mistaken, that is a large part of why we have forums such as this. Even if the jigger doesn't run but the engine is free, depending on bucks, it may still be worth considering as I'm told by the people over at the A-C forum that most parts are still obtainable from one source or another. Hope it all works for you.
yep i second that parts are easy to get ive a 1942 HD7..just giving the machine a once over before putting it to use,all the parts we needed down to a thermostat gasket were only a phone call away..for a later HD6 parts would be even easier to get
Thanks Crayton - Northart provided me a serial number schedule posted on the thread. Once I get that resolved,providing I find the serial number - the next is to establish what it is worth once the status of condition is evaluated.
Serial Number Location ? The serial number should be on the xs'msn case , on the top, middle,vertical face, just below the fuel tank, between the mounting brackets of the winch. Like 1/4" to 1/2" from the top edge. Use sandpaper to find it. Just light sanding to remove the paint. Usually just some, stamped numbers , covered by many layers of paint by now. No plate, as on the Caterpillar stuff.