Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identify an oil cooler temp regulator on a DT466B

Minnesota Eric · 2021-05-18 19:43

See this gismo. The gismo is connected to the oil/coolant heat exchanger on my 1979 Hough H80B that is powered by a DT466B and the gismo is currently leaking anti-freeze. The gismo has both coolant and oil lines running into it. I have all the OEM parts books but cannot locate the part number or the equivalent part. In fact, my correct for the year chassis and engine parts books don't show that it is part of the OEM coolant system. I'm assuming that it functions as a temperature regulator, and if not stock, that it functioned to keep everything warm operating here in northern Minnesota during the winter. I want to fix, rebuild or replace it with something that does the same job but don't know where to begin looking apart from a couple of fruitless google searches. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Replies14
  1. #1Welder Dave2021-05-19 15:01

    It does look like an add on. Machine must have been repainted at some time because of paint on hoses. Maybe checking with a larger truck parts supplier/equipment dealer you could find it or something similar in an older parts catalogue. Maybe you could just take it apart and rebuild it easily? Maybe just needs a new gasket or something simple. Looks like it has numbers/name or something on top that google may be your best friend or a member on here may recognize.

  2. #2lantraxco2021-05-19 16:30

    Just got the one oil line there, that 1/4" hose? I'm guessing some kind of valve. If you don't know what it is, why replace it? Leaking?

  3. #3Vetech632021-05-19 17:44

    Its a UFO

  4. #4John C.2021-05-20 11:28

    I've never seen that before and i worked for a Hough dealer when that machine was new. I would suggest tracing the hoses out and identify how that worked. My first inclination is to remove it and put an electric engine block heater in if you need it to be able to start in cold weather. If the problem was that the engine wouldn't get and stay warm in the severe cold, I would suggest radiator curtains and/or a reversible fan.

  5. #5Minnesota Eric2021-05-20 11:53

    Here is another angle on the leaking valve gismo

  6. #6Minnesota Eric2021-05-20 12:00

    Would you have any access to any book explaining cold weather running accessories? The machine has radiator shutters that are not hooked up to a shutterstat. I plan to sort that issue out as well but I need to removed the top engine cowling and the tractor I need to use to do that is busy stacking logs for several weeks.

  7. #7lantraxco2021-05-20 12:08

    From that angle it looks like the oil line is connected to something else? I can't tell. I'm starting to think it may be nothing more than a filter screen for the coolant? Open her up, let's see what you've got?

  8. #8Minnesota Eric2021-05-20 14:12

    The oil line goes down and taps into the oil pressure sending unit port. The other oil line heads up to the instruments. I went out and hot water pressure cleaned the thing as best as I coul and near as I can tell it says ARMBRUST AUTOMATIC CORP LEVEL STAT MADE IN USA with the top side marked “IN.”

  9. #9lantraxco2021-05-20 15:04

    Oh, I was thinking wrong as usual, it must be a coolant valve that the oil pressure opens?

  10. #10Minnesota Eric2021-05-20 15:29

    If that is what it does, what would we call such a thing? I'm trying to find a replacement.

  11. #11lantraxco2021-05-20 17:09

    Got me beat, sorry. If that's ALL it does you could maybe replace it with a solenoid valve, wire it off the key switch through a relay? I dunno. Might as well open it up and see if you can just make a gasket for it, unless it's a diaphragm thing...

  12. #12John C.2021-05-20 22:24

    I don't have any materials from those days. The dealer that I worked for then is also long gone. Usually the shutters are run by air pressure. Where do the coolant hoses hook up to? Sorry for the questions but my mind is a little fried right now. I can't figure out if they are using oil pressure to shut coolant off or turn it on or is it turn oil pressure on or off. Maybe it is used to open and close the shutters.

  13. #13Minnesota Eric2021-05-21 10:30

    After thinking about the mysterious, antifreeze-leaking, whatchmacallit, I decided that it must be an automatic heater that kicks on only when oil pressure is present and the temperature is low enough to kick on. Which is cool as an idling diesel in my area will freeze itself up in the winter, and this also helps warm up the engine at all other times. The takeaway is that I can remove it, tie the oil and water lines back together and simplify my machine. The thing of it is now that I know (or think I know what it does), I'm wondering if a new version of the widget exists that I could replace the existing gismo with? Any suggestions other than a KATS catalog?

  14. #14Welder Dave2021-05-21 13:04

    Try taking it apart. Might be an easy fix.