Hey guys, I'm new to skid steers and CTLs. Can anyone help me identify this leak? Is this just coming from the planetary? (I'm thinking about buying this CTL and want to know what I'm getting into). It's a 259b3 with 3,400 hrs. Thanks in advance for your help!
I would say it is coming from the steel face seal between the sprocket and the planetary housing. The issue concerning the leak is whether it is simply the seal leaking or whether it is a more complex issue of something like a worn bearing. Either way it ought to be repairable. See the attached parts list, the seal is #10 but at a quick glance it looks like everything else is also available separately.
Thanks, Nige!!!
IIRC, that assy does require a press and special tooling to disassemble and reassemble. The duocone seal is leaking. Best bet is to get a quote from a Cat dealer for replacement of the seal. The quote may not be accurate if was actually run with low oil. Then gears and such may be failed also. An example of full replacement...
Thanks for that, heymccall! Well at it turns out, I did not bid on the 259b3 as it went above my price range very quickly. It sold in the low $30k's and left me no headroom for attachments, etc. I'm still going to look into what you attached because I find it interesting. That was a good unit, too. 3400hr machine with 600 hrs on a new engine. Although the cost of that repair right out of the gate would've stung. I ended up with a straight old 257. I know about the ASV undercarriage but I checked it out and it seemed tight, no leaks, not a whole lot of rust on the machine, 2200 hrs, tracks about 60% remaining. I wouldn't mind upgrading to more power later but for now I'll take my chances with that undercarriage. I seem to have picked it up for a very appropriate price. Anyway, it's my first CTL so it's exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. Why do I feel like this 257 is my gateway drug? lol