A purchased a ripper and it has this valve on it. Looking at other rippers they have lock valves and/or cushion valves however the one's I've seen are much smaller and don't have the 2 extended parts like his one. Wondering if maybe it has a relief valve(s) built in or if someone can identify what all it does?
Counterbalance or ‘line lock’ valve to prevent ripper drifting up or down during changing conditions ?
Yes and I'm wondering if it's also a cushion valve and/or a relief valve? It's bigger than other line lock or cushion valves I've seen. It looks to have 2 more ports with plugs in them that I'm not sure of the purpose. I just want to make sure there's a relief valve in the circuit. If I use the solenoid valve from the snow wing I think it has a cross over relief valve. If the ripper has another relief valve is kind of a bonus.
Just guessing, it looks like the 2 "plugs" are logic valves with pilot to release function. The larger cartridge valves, I'm guessing would be your port reliefs . Looks like Parker, but there are so many aftermarket suppliers now,who can say.
I think I should be covered as far having a relief valve. Not all rippers have these kind of valves but I was reading it's best to have them close to the cylinders.
Agreed, think of it like a fuse, you want to be as close to the source as possible, in this case the mechanical force of the ripper needs to have a place to dump excess in the event of an over-pressure it dumps to neg side vs blowing packing and bending rods. I would check pressures on those reliefs and make sure they're at or below 2500 psi. That's where most aftermarket kits seem to want to be. Your mfr may have different specs. Good luck
It makes sense if your ripping and run into a large rock or something else immovable. You don't want to bend the ram or put all the back pressure on the hyd's. Originally I was worried about lifting the ripper all the way up or lowering it all the way down. I don't want to blow hoses or worse blow the pump up when the cylinder is at the end of stroke. I'll need to attach a mirror or maybe a back up camera at some point so I can see the position of the ripper.
I think you're covered, but you'll have to confirm by testing. Never assume! Don't wanna make an ass outta u & me.
Should be part numbers on the relief valves
There is a number. If you zoom in it looks like 81043. I tried to Google it but nothing came up. A hyd. shop might be able to tell me exactly what it is and the brand. I basically know what it does but it may serve more than 1 function.