Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identifying an old CAT pull behind grader

Mike_K ยท 2025-04-22 20:32

Hi folks, I'm trying to help my dad identify an old Caterpillar pull behind grader that he has on the farm and wants to restore. We're looking for a manual and any resources or schematic that could help with the project. He says the model is an Iron Mule, but I don't get any CAT grader model called that. Here is a link to a high quality video walkaround of the machine: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ1LDm5Z4LIJ2Jml835IH5Pgh1zA1HWqJLok . Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1ovrszd2025-04-23 08:43

    Welcome to HEF Mike. I'm guessing the "Iron Mule" part is a nickname. I've never heard that term before. Look for a "tag" on the grader that lists Model #, SN, etc. Mine is on the main frame. Sounds like you have already searched CAT's website for information? If not, it's a great place for information. They built a LOT of models and variations. When shooting videos it's better to step back more and get more of the machine in the pic. Then viewers can zoom if needed to see details. Hopefully someone will chime in with some information about this particular model. I was fortunate enough to get a complete grader that is functional. Here's a pic of my machine tag. Left side of mainframe toward front of grader.

  2. #2bccat2025-04-23 11:08

    Usually behind the tag serial # was stamped into the frame, might be too pitted to read

  3. #3Nige2025-04-23 11:23

    MAybe the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club ( www.acmoc.org ) mighr be able to shed some light.?

  4. #4Mike_K2025-04-23 20:28

    Thanks for all the suggestions! I asked my dad for some more photos and I'm attaching what he sent. Unfortunately there isn't a nice nameplate like what ovrszd shows on his, but I can make out the following numbers in the photos: Patent nr: can't make it out but will ask my dad, I think it will be legible in person. I'm not sure if this will be the patent number for the whole machine though, but will update once I have that. Some random nr: 8b4859 (Googling this doesn't show anything useful) Grader nr: 2J 518. I think this might be a line number and not a model number since Googling only shows a CAT skidder model 518, which is something different of course. Thanks Nige for suggesting ACMOC, that definitely seems like the place to go. I might also post there and will link back here as well. Thanks again! Mike

  5. #5Mike_K2025-04-24 12:39

    Quick update here: Someone on ACMOC was able to identify it as a Nr 33 pull behind grader. Thanks folks!

  6. #6ovrszd2025-04-24 18:59

    You're gaining!!!! We'll look forward to pics of progress!!!!

  7. #7JaredV2025-04-24 22:00

    Me too! Looks like it's in quite good shape.

  8. #8Bruce O2025-05-11 15:23

    Cat bought the Russell grader company in the late 1920s, this might have similar designs. Bruce