Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identifying buttons on Hitachi Excavator console

jimbob2 ยท 2012-05-17 20:23

Hi all. I'm operating a Hitachi EX 120-5 at the moment, but all the writing on the console is Japanese. Actually every sticker, every instruction, everything is in Japanese! I dont know what the buttons do, I need to find out what it all means. I'm trying to find a picture to explain, but I cant find any on the internet. Can anyone help?

Replies19
  1. #1willie592012-05-17 20:26

    It's what we call a "grey market" machine jimbob2, a machine built for the Asian speaking global market and not Europe or the Americas.

  2. #2robin yates uk2012-05-17 23:17

    http://hitachiconstruction.com/assets/files/non-current/EX120.PDF this is a PDF file for Hitachi, North America,,,,,,

  3. #3pp13bnos2012-05-17 23:41

    I have a -5 machine too, and it has both Japanese and English writing, except the service info sticker located in the storage compartment. :/

  4. #4jimbob22012-05-18 14:56

    Thanks everybody. Do you see the picture of the console on the third page of Robin Yeats's link? (Thx Robin!) What are the buttons underneath the rabbit/turtle, the one that looks like A/I, and the very top one? They are the ones in Japanese on my machine!?!

  5. #5captain charlie2012-05-18 18:39

    You could try transferring your iphone to Japanese and copying the characters on to it and see which letters are which. i tried it with my iphone but it was Chinese translation. long way around but when your just sitting there give you something to do. cheers

  6. #6robin yates uk2012-05-19 05:05

    rabbit/turtle,,,,,,,,,, hare/tortoise,,,,,,,,,,,,,fast/slow...........Yeats was a poet,,,,,,I am an original Yates, sorry I could not be of more assistance.Try contacting your nearest Hitachi dealer in Ireland

  7. #7jimbob22012-05-19 10:45

    Here we go:

  8. #8robin yates uk2012-05-19 11:13

    these 4 actions are Work Mode 4...general purpose 3...grading mode 2...precision mode 1...attachments mode

  9. #9jimbob22012-05-19 12:04

    No the one under the fast/slow, the A/I button, and the topmost one. What do they do?

  10. #10robin yates uk2012-05-19 20:12

    if you look at the Hitachi PDF I linked you to, there is a diagram showing this info.

  11. #11darren982012-05-19 21:26

    One of my yanmar mini excavators is a grey market machine. i had the same problem. i ended up buying the service and parts manual that was in english. i did eventually find a translation web site but it took forever seeing how all their letters look alike.

  12. #12jimbob22012-05-20 14:23

    I think you'll find sir, that there isnt! I took that picture from the PDF link you kindly provided, but nowhere could I find an explanation for the buttons I asked about. However I'm open to correction, maybe I'm missing it.

  13. #13willie592012-05-20 14:33

    I don't have a clue what the buttons do myself, but with the thread title of "Console with Japanese writing" is not necessarily going to attract members who have Hitachi machines jimbob2, the kind of folks that might have an answer for you. Just a wild guess on my part, does the A-I button control auto throttle? As for the button at the top, I can't see the icons in the picture good enough to even tell what they are.

  14. #14jimbob22012-05-20 17:53

    Good point there Willie. I suppose I should change the thread title. Can that be done, or will I have to start a new thread?

  15. #15willie592012-05-20 18:02

    I got ya covered jimbob2.

  16. #16Diggaman2012-05-20 19:33

    See if yoo can find what your looking for in attached

  17. #17willie592012-05-20 20:23

    Nice job Diggaman.

  18. #18robin yates uk2012-05-20 22:30

    I just checked and you are correct. Ask Hitachi direct in Ireland,,,,,, good luck

  19. #19jimbob22012-05-21 10:59

    Ah thanks a million guys. Mystery solved!