Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 319D LN climbing onto a rail car (video)

WerkBrau ยท 2012-05-18 12:53

I saw this and had to share it! The video feaures a Caterpillar 319D LN climbing onto a rail car to unload crushed rock in Kansas City. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1CMSV81_ws - Who here has done something like this? I wonder if their insurance company knows about this video :lmao

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies5
  1. #1D11RCD2012-05-19 20:48

    Well I am glad someone found a good use for the LN undercarriage.... But seriously is that common practice?

  2. #2DirtHauler2012-05-19 20:53

    A few other threads featuring this video.

  3. #3robin yates uk2012-05-19 21:05

    an experienced operator can make his/her machine do incredible stuff(incredible to the unanitiated)but perfectly safe for them.An excavator does what the pilot demands of it.No operator with a brain will attempt to do the impossible(if there is an insurance company man watching!):drinkup:drinkup:notworthy:notworthy

  4. #4Vantage_TeS2012-05-20 02:23

    I've done similar things with excavators. Believe it or not but this clip actually inspired the heavy equipment portion of the Mythbusters episode "Duct Tape Plane". It's a very simple concept, no different than climbing up a bench or loading a machine onto a highboy without a detachable gooseneck. I taught Jamie and Adam how to do this in about an hour. They have some operating experience but definitely don't run machines every day. If you look closely at Kyle's video you can see there are guides welded along where the inside of the track will rest to prevent the machine from sliding off. How do I know all this? My friend Kyle took that video, and I was the consultant/expert in that episode.

  5. #5robin yates uk2012-05-20 02:49

    I watched your vid and passed a favourable comment, excellent work well done Sir:notworthy