Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identifying steering cylinder on Case 580

Tomas_Sthlm ยท 2015-12-10 18:36

Hi! I need to replace the seals on the left steering cylinder of my Case 580B. The problem is that it's not the original steering cylinder. It looks very much like a case 580 steering cylinder, but the rod is 18mm not 19 (3/4 inch). I have googled my ass off but could not find what case model it is from, or where to buy seals for it. The seals fitted to it are marked (rod seal: 18-26-5) (wiper seal 18-28-5/7) so I could just order them but I haven't found any source. If anyone know what case model this cylinder is, or a place to order seals in small quantities I'd but most grateful. Regards Tomas

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042015-12-10 22:11

    It's probably not a Case cylinder, but is an aftermarket replacement. Your best bet is to take the seals to a local hydraulics shop if you have one. They should be able to match them up for a few dollars, or euros, or kronar, or chocolate coins, or what have you. If that doesn't work, these people will have it: www.baumhydraulics.com Good luck, Mitch

  2. #2onemank62015-12-11 10:31

    Exactly what mitch says!!! Thats what i would as well a good hyd shop can get you the seals if they dont stock them.

  3. #3Tomas_Sthlm2015-12-12 13:00

    Thx. I'll check baum* I've been to what to me seems to be the only general hydraulic shop in Stockholm and they couldn't help Things work differently for you over there I think. Here there are allmost no part shops left at all. Maybe it's better in the smaller towns but then I might aswell order it online.

  4. #4Blueboy2015-12-12 17:12

    I used these guys before, fairly easy to navigate. https://www.mfpseals.com/s/2/hydraulics-pneumatics

  5. #5Tomas_Sthlm2015-12-13 08:07

    Thx That site looked really good! After some inspirations from mitch above I got better at googleing and found a local webshop yesterday that had similar seals as I found inside the cylinder so I ordered that. One thing that worries me is that the rod seal (a regular V-seal) were specified at a maximum of 2000psi. I don't know much about hydraulics, but it seemed a bit low to me. Maybe the steering doesn't have more pressure than that :beatsme If it doesn't work, I'll order some sturdier stuff from mfpseals. Maybe this one.

  6. #6onemank62015-12-13 11:12

    I dont know for sure how much pressure that system uses but i would be shocked if its over 200 psi after all the loader system is around 2200 psi and this dont compare

  7. #7Tomas_Sthlm2015-12-13 16:06

    Ok, thx. Then it's most likely to work

  8. #8Tinkerer2015-12-13 18:20

    Try cleaning the outside of the barrel really well. The manufacturer of the cylinder may have their name or some other identifying information stamped on it. Is this the rod seal ?? ----> http://www.hydraulicsealsonline.com/UHS_18_18_X_26_X_5_MM/p1158631_5288048.aspx There is a double lip of the same size. DHS 18-26-5 Wiper seal ??? -----> http://votaseals.com/644950-sb-18-28-5-7 Another link to a Google search and the results ----> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=18-28-5/7+seal

  9. #9Tomas_Sthlm2015-12-14 03:58

    Good point! If seals ordered doesn't work I'll do that. I don't want to take away what little paint left tho I don't have any suitable paint at the moment or place to apply it. Since I'm building a new house, I'm outa workshop at the moment I have to do all work in the yard or in a tiny room in the basement of the old house. Yes, that's the one. Since it's mounted internally, the double lip won't fit I'm afraid. Yes Good with a tip for a European supplier. Often easier for me since US shippings always end up in customs costing me time and money True. The easy ones is sometimes better

  10. #10Truck 5052015-12-14 16:18

    Looks very similar to a steering cylinder off of a Case 580 Super E

  11. #11Tomas_Sthlm2015-12-14 18:24

    It does indeed, but mine is metric unfortunatly.