Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stabilizer?

Brews4me ยท 2015-12-10 18:24

What's the best brand of Stabilizer for fuel for the winter in a cold climate??

Replies9
  1. #1Blueboy2015-12-10 18:34

    I bought this stuff but haven't tried them together. Still waiting for an expert to chime in. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Brews4me2015-12-10 19:41

    Well, I've used Opti-Lube in my new Ford 350 for 2 years and seem to have had great results!

  3. #3Delmer2015-12-10 23:11

    What are you looking for? I'd think #1 diesel is what you'd need for starting in the cold and altitude. If you're just parking it with the tank full over the winter, then it doesn't need anything.

  4. #4Roddd2015-12-11 06:10

    I use Diesel Kleen in my two diesel vehicles and plan to run it in my new-to-me Cat hoe. Are you looking for optimized performance or will the machine just be sitting parked for the winter?

  5. #5Brews4me2015-12-11 11:30

    I'm kinda new to the hoe also, new 310 SG, but it will mostly sit in the cold altitude for the winter. Will want it to start JUST IN CASE too much snow or needed for action. Always could use increased performance though I guess. Delmer also brings to mind another question??? What fuel to run daily, #1 or #2??? I may not have easy access to #1 and I will have to fill from cans from the station 60 miles away.

  6. #6Delmer2015-12-11 17:59

    Can you plug it in? then don't worry about it. If it's plugged for an hour or two it will start in any weather that it snows in, and if you let it run for 5 minutes the fuel will be circulating enough not to worry about plugging the filters. Read the manual, at one time Deere recommended #1 for over 5,000 ft, even without the cold. But if it starts fine in warm weather and you can plug it in in the cold, then I'd stick with #2. Now if the tank is full with fuel you bought in August then it won't be winterized at all, in which case you may have waxing problems from starting it and running it right away below freezing. Winterized diesel will flow till closer to zero.

  7. #796_Bear2015-12-11 20:48

    Brews4Me, if you have a walmart close by they should sell K1 on the shelf. I have used it to to thin out veggie oil that I ran in my powerstroke and I can say a little goes a long way to "cutting" the fuel and lowering the gel point for #2.

  8. #8grandpa2015-12-11 21:13

    Like Delmer said, Number 1 fuel no additives needed then. Used to buy a Canadian fuel called P40 but can't find it here anymore. That was the best cold weather fuel I ever saw.

  9. #9old-iron-habit2015-12-12 22:56

    Our local Cenex station pump says it will flow to -28 F on the winter blend. My truck started missing, running out of fuel, when the built in thermometer reached -28 a couple years ago. I stopped and ran at a fast idle for 15 minutes and it cleaned up again and I made it thru the night OK. A bit scary that they have it figured that close.