Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help Indenifying Hydraulic Cylinder

Don Brasseaux · 2026-02-15 21:16

I was give an electric motor attached to a hydraulic pump. It was operating a hydraulic cylinder. I have pictures attached, I am trying to figure out what the cylinder was used for. Wondering if it can be converted to a hole puncher possibly? Thanks for an help!

Replies11
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-02-16 09:38

    Looks like it was set up for crimping.

  2. #2LCA0782026-02-16 11:52

    What kind of shop did it come from? Automotive, Heavy Truck, Heavy Equipment or Fabrication? A press like this can easily be a common tool in any of those...

  3. #3Coaldust2026-02-16 13:16

    I’m just guessing. Maybe a welded mill chain breaker? Or, it has a brake rivet vibe to it. Welcome to the HEF. We’ll figure it out. Any more clues?

  4. #4DDoug2026-02-16 13:47

    Hole punching .....what material, what thickness, and what sized hole ?

  5. #5cuttin edge2026-02-16 15:20

    Was watching a video and the guy was using a Dvorak iron worker. Was impressed how easy it punched a hole in iron

  6. #6LCA0782026-02-16 15:39

    Ironworkers are cool machines. They maximize using leverage to multiple the force of their cylinders or off-center cams. The cams or cylinders can have long throws while the blade only moves an inch or so to shear/punch very cleanly. Very powerful for their size.

  7. #7Coaldust2026-02-16 16:16

    They punch above their weight, for sure. I’m a huge fan of the Piranha’s. Their 50 and 65 ton units are the Bees Knees. Wish I had one.

  8. #8Welder Dave2026-02-19 00:42

    Not as safe as hydraulic iron workers but older mechanical iron workers are extremely efficient for punching holes. Takes about 2 seconds a hole. Much faster than hydraulic but once you press a button or step on the pedal there's no stopping it. Hydraulic that I've used stops if you let off the control.

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-02-19 00:55

    I'd suspect it's a 2500 PSI cylinder because it has a smaller rod diameter than a porta-power cylinder but see if there's a name on it. It looks pretty big so could work for punching holes. There are charts with the force required to punch different size holes. Remember that the smallest hole that can be punched (mild steel) is the thickness of plate you're punching. IE/ 1/2" hole in 1/2" plate. Trying to punch a smaller hole can break the punch.

  10. #10LCA0782026-02-19 22:19

    I think the weak spots will be where those cap screws hold the pullrods. Doesn't look like a lot of meat to me for heavy punching. And you gotta look at same on the bottom. If you get the specs of those cap screws and whatever material they're threaded into, someone could tell you the safe tension they can hold. Like DDoug said "Hole punching .....what material, what thickness, and what sized hole?" Gotta answer that first.

  11. #11Welder Dave2026-02-20 00:54

    I was thinking the cylinder could work but a heavier frame would be needed for punching holes.