Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help installing block heater in Cat 226B

johnstra ยท 2008-03-12 00:00

I'm trying to install a block heater - presses into freeze plug bore. I can't get room to get any kind of stike with a hammer. I need some ideas how I can get this thing installed. Suggestions? Thanks, -john

Replies2
  1. #1Bentworker22008-03-12 01:06

    Do you have enough room for an air chisel? They make hammer bits for them. Here is a Snap-On one (PHG71A) Ajax makes a bunch of nice air chisel bits, they make a dedicated freeze plug installation bit. It is kinda goofy looking, but it should work well. A bit with a ball end goes into the zip gun, then you place a disk with a half sphere detent in it and drive the plug flat. Check out ajax at http://www.ajaxtools.com/home.php

  2. #2johnstra2008-03-12 21:32

    Thanks Bent. I'll try that, but I had to get it back together quick so I just put one of those aftermarket o-ring jobbies (Kat's Heater) in it. When I can find a bit that'll work I'll try the stock press-in unit again later with the air chisel. -john