Hello everybody I have a 98 310se Backhoe.. Ive had this unit a long time and it hasn't seen much hard use in years I use it to move stuff and scrape my drive way.. Anyway a few days ago I used it to move a fridge and it ran perfect.. Today It cranks but wont fire up.. It was low on fuel so I went and got 5 gals for it dumped it in still nothing.. I'm not familiar with these things bit I do oil changes and grease it.. Now I noticed I have a bad Hydraulic hose on the back hoe on the bucket cylinder it is leaking pretty bad.. and its low on hydraulic oil now.. Do these units have a shut off safety to prevent it from running with low oil? My other question is could the lines need to be re primed? is that leaver next to the fuel filer a manual primer? Any help would be highly appreciated bc its directly in my way of my shop and I cant move it to get other projects in the door Like I said it ran beautifully up until today.. yesterday it had no issues what so ever.. I have Changed the Fuel filter before but its been a long while.. But It showed no signs of bad fuel.
When was the last time you did fuel filters? It could have lost prime. Yes the lever on the pump is to prime/fill filters, if you don't fee resistance bump the motor over as it has to be on the lobe of the cam to make pressure. To my knowledge there isn't anything hydraulic related that would render the engine inoperable. I'd say throw some filters on it and prime it. You can pre-fill the filters with CLEAN fuel before you screw them on. Some guys pre-fill, some swear against it. If it doesn't take off pretty quick may have to crack a line or two up at the injectors and crank it over until they squirt fuel. Once they do snug em up and spin it over. It should begin hitting on a cylinder or two until it takes off. If you ran it low it may have sucked some trash in. I bet it lost prime. Let us know what happens.
Thanks Junkyard, Ill get to it first thing tomorrow.. I'll let you know.. I really appreciate your input it big time.
Just letting you know I put new filters on, primed it up, and had to roll it over a few times and it built pressure, pumped the leaver a few more times and it hit and fired up and runs great! Thank you very much Junkyard for your help.. I'm new to the Heavy Equipment Forum but you guys are awesome!.. I'll definitely be needing advice in the future.
You're welcome. Glad it was something simple! Yes there are some great people on here with a tremendous amount of knowledge.
Someone ran my Ford 555 really low on fuel a few weeks back. I fired it off and moved it 10 feet and it shut down form low fuel. I had to reprime the system by cracking the lines to the injectors.... It was not very fun.