Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help me fix this….driving me crazy

rust buster ยท 2021-11-07 14:19

2010 Kubota KX161-3STS with hydraulic thumb. The thumb is controlled electronically via a thumbwheel on the right hand joystick. When using the thumb, it always wants to stay open. You can close it and will clamp, but as soon as you let go, it will open and when it is back to fully open, you can hear the hydraulics still trying to open more. Something is stuck open or something. Kubota dealership told me I needed a new joystick. I ordered that ($1000) and made no difference at all. I then ordered a new solenoid ($500), which made no difference at all. I think the only thing left is something in the spool itself, or the main computer which calibrates the signal. Anyone had this issue or know what to try next?

Replies5
  1. #1TIredoldparts2021-11-07 17:04

    does it still do it if you unplug the solenoid wires? if so, its in the spool possibly.

  2. #2rust buster2021-11-07 18:16

    If I unplug the solenoid wire, the machine will not let me activate the thumb via the button in the cab. Is there another way to test?

  3. #3TIredoldparts2021-11-07 21:03

    once its fully open and you hear it trying to open more, unplug it and see if it quits.

  4. #4rust buster2021-11-08 09:00

    I will try that today. I should also mention that if you remove the solenoid, but keep the wire connected to it. You can turn the machine on (but not start the engine). If you actuate the thumb by turning on the electronics for it and then manipulate the thumbwheel, you can see the solenoid move, but it will also move on its own if you are not touching anything. With that information, could it still be a hydraulic issue, or is it more likely an electronics issue? A buddy had mentioned it may be a broken o-ring in the spool?

  5. #5John C.2021-11-08 10:17

    Sounds like a wiring or electronic component issue.