Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help me ID this 5th wheel

Brandt · 2014-06-06 22:59

I need help on manufacture (and model would be nice), and how to adjust it

Replies13
  1. #1Brandt2014-06-06 23:01

    Is the Black arrow or Red arrow the adjustment bolt?? Nevermind, I can't get the arrows to show up!!!:Banghead:duh

  2. #2Mike L2014-06-07 08:17

    the adjustment bolt is right on the front. what does the tag on the front say?

  3. #3Brandt2014-06-07 11:47

    Only thing on the tag is a S/N

  4. #4CRAFT2014-06-07 12:00

    As Mike L said the Adjustment Bolt is the one on the front face centre ……. those 2 top bolts are probably to remove the mechanics of the jaws underneath the plate ….

  5. #5Mike L2014-06-07 12:04

    If it's the original 5th wheel you should be able to call the local dealer and have them check the spec sheet and they can tell you what it is.

  6. #6RZucker2014-06-07 12:35

    Kind of looks like a 2 jaw Simplex. If there is such a critter.

  7. #7Brandt2014-06-07 20:47

    It's on a dolly - don't know if it is original or not. Dolly manufacture is out of business. I'll try giving Holland and Fontaine a call w/ the S/N. I think Simplex is out of business.

  8. #8CRAFT2014-06-07 21:30

    You posted that there is no branding of a name on that tag and only a ser# ???? ……. try to google the number only and see what pops-up ???? …. just a thought

  9. #9Brandt2014-06-08 12:01

    OK, there was branding/lettering on the plate, it is worn off now and what was left was rubbed off when I tried to get the paint off to read it. The dolly was made in Birm AL, and when I looked up holland and Fontaine last night, one of them is HQ in AL. It's a lead albeit a thin one.

  10. #10fixou8122014-06-08 12:44

    Casting may have a sim Symbols logo. Casted. Right in it.

  11. #11gkenworth2014-06-08 23:18

    Does look like a primary / secondary jaw simplex I had on one winch truck I drove. Parts are available thru Holland. If memory serves, to adjust the jaws, you need to remove the vertical pin forward and left of the 5th wheel pin opening. Their is a hefty cotter pin on the underside. Once removed you'll find it has a hexagon part on the pin that keeps it from spinning. The part of the pin that goes thru the secondary jaw is on an excentric. So with the hex and excentric, there are 3 adjustments you can make on the jaws before replacing parts. Hope this helps.

  12. #12Brandt2014-06-10 10:04

    I contacted both Holland and Fontaine. Turns out it is a Holland with no adjustment. The rep is checking for rebuild parts.

  13. #13Brandt2014-06-11 15:27

    The Holland rep came back and said that it is a Dayton Walther fifth wheel. Apparently Fontaine owned the name in 1987 and Holland sometime after that. I think parts support is pretty thin right now - except in Europe they seem popular. They also seem popular with the US Military. Of course the gov't would buy them - overpriced and no parts support (or very expensive part support).