I am starting a new business project and want your input on a backhoe purchase. We are building rent houses. Phase one is four 1200 sq ft houses, with twelve houses total planned. The shell of the houses will be pre-engineered metal buildings with concrete foundations. These are rural, so a septic system will be used. A gravel drive will be installed. We will be unloading the steel and other deliveries, digging for the foundation, excavating the septic and trench, erecting the steel, landscaping, and driveway grading. The total crew is me (the owner), and two employees, so any labor-saving-assistance is great. I have Cat, Case, and Deere dealers nearby, and in that order of service quality. My wish list includes cab & air since I'm in S. Texas and I will be the one running the machine most of the time. Prefer a late model or nearly new, just don't want to take the instant depreciation of a brand-new one. I learned on wobble-stick controls, and don't want to re-learn. 4wd would be nice, but maybe not necessary (heavy clay soil here). Note: All of the farm machines here are 4wd. I don't know if extendahoe is necessary:beatsme, unless helpful with building erection??? None of the machines I've ever run had extendahoe. Max height of building structure is about 14'. Forks are required. For this project, what machine would you pick and why? What options would you put on the machine? Thanks.:usa
Cab w/ heat and air is definatly a plus. Where 4wd comes in is if you want to work in, or just after the rain. A 2wd backhoe on wet clay isn't going anywhere but downhill. As a general rule, farm tractors fair much better in 2wd than do backhoes. They have narrower tires and sometimes they are loaded, but when stuck lack the ability to get themselves out. Extendahoe... very nice thing to have, you will love it alot. As for the front bucket, try a 6n1 out. Its a 4n1 w/ flip over forks. Other than that, I'd get a tool carrier model, or at least a front coupler. Oh, and tell the salesman that your looking at other brands, and demo what you think you want. Machinery sales is just as slow as construction so you might be suprised what you can get a new one for...
This looks like a great place to start. Big option list available. [url]http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/backhoes/310sj_tmc_tc_features.html [/URL] 5095 Thumb Ready Extendible Dipperstick - 7 Function Hydraulics includes 6th Function for Cylinder Actuated Attachments - Selective Flow Control Valve (Adjustable in 1 GPM increments, 5-35 GPM) - Flow Control Auxiliary Plumbing - - Extended Stabilizers with Pin Lock Reversible Pads 7085 Toolcarrier Loader with 3 Function Hydraulics and Coupler with Auxiliary Plumbing
Getting 4X4 and extendahoe are nearly manadory for any backhoe except street only machines used for light utility work. Given you want to use forks I would be sure to get a quick coupler up front and a coupler in the back. The newer CASE machines are set up like this with hyd coupler on the hoe with optional coupler in the front. Other OEMs are likely as well. I would spec ride control. You can get a lot of machine for little comparative money right now so I would take advantage of that. I would be sure to have a 36" bucket and a 24" digging buckets. I really like using a 50" clean out bucket, they are smooth lipped and great for many tasks around a job site. I would look for a 580 Super M Series 2 loaded up. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6879245&GUID=CD184F2EDEBD4C9D8E12AC316DB45FBE http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6783762&GUID=CD184F2EDEBD4C9D8E12AC316DB45FBE or great deal on a PLUS machine http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6781044&GUID=CD184F2EDEBD4C9D8E12AC316DB45FBE
One thing you ought to determine is what the bundles of steel you will be moving weigh to make sure they are within the capacity of the machine. The extendahoe can cut production times quite a bit over the life of the machine if that's of any value to you. More work time from each parked position and less overall moving can add up over time.
Steve's right about the value of the e-hoe. My last two machines had them, the current one does not. On a 4'deep trench, I have to reposition every 6 or so feet. With an e-hoe, that would be closer to 10 feet. i know the reach of all of them is more than that, but I am talking about the efficient reach of each.
Good replies from everyone. The extendahoe makes a lot of sense now. I have a Deere CUT with one of the subframe-mount baby backhoes, so I know all about frequent re-positioning (although it's a most handy tool around the house). Steel erection would likely be easier too with an extandahoe's additional placement control. 4x4 is probably a sure thing, since resale is important, and 4x4's seem to hold value much better around here. What is the best flip-over fork setup/manufacturer? I think the 6-1 idea would be the cat's meow. I have a 4-1 on my CUT, and it is really useful at times. The local Case guy is checking on some NEW '08 machines at one of their other locations. He thinks one is a tool-carrier style loader, 4-1 bucket, with a cab & air. That might be the ticket if the price is right, but some of this late-model used iron is sure affordable right now. I should have numbers on his deal(s) tomorrow. What tools besides buckets would I want to attach to the hoe coupler/aux hydraulics for this type construction project? Some of the Case machines my dealer has have this feature, but I had not anticipated using other hoe attachments:beatsme. The steel building supplier didn't say what the max bundle weight was, but did say that many people unload & erect with backhoes. I'll verify the weights this week, just to be sure. Thanks, and keep the input coming!
I swear by only two brands, go with a Case or Deere. From the sounds of the work and if its gonna be your only machine, I'd go with a 410/590 size machine. 4x4, e-hoe, and cab absolutly. It's expensive but a 4n'1 is nice to have.Working in the street it worth every penny. I would stay away from the Case hydralic rear coupler. Quite a few guys I know have had problems with them and end up capping the lines off. The manual one works very easy. E-hoe is a big help. I use to work for my dad doing site work, septic, sewer, water services, etc. e-hoe was worth every penny. I work for a utility company running a case backhoe, e-hoe is still worth every penny. We do all the heavy gas main work. E-hoe helps alot trenching, loading into a tri-axle, digging around utilities, lifting higher, digging deeper.
Tried all Three Up here in Alberta you see alot of JD, Case then Cat and in that order. I was a Cat man for a long time, left BC and came to Alberta. The first was a Case 580 series with an extendahoe, 4in1 bucket, flipover pads on the outriggers. 4x4, For/Rev auto shift. It was and is a great machine. Drawback on this machine 4 speed standard transmission, cab not roomy enough. The JD410 series I found was also a great machine this one did not have the 4in1 but it did have the extendahoe, flipover pads, 4x4, for/rev 4 speed auto., roomy cab. Drawbacks no 4in1 bucket, but could get one if needed. Service I have found excellent and quick, JD?Case will give you a loner, they show up and will service if you want them to all your machines in one shot. As some one else posted on here is to try each one out. You can get them delivered to your site. the rep. will go over it with you and like others have posted , you can get realy good deals and financing on new machines. I've been involved with buying old and new, less headaches with new. Just be Careful when Buying used "Buyer Beware"
Its nice to have rear auxillary couplers, it would let you run a thumb, or griping bucket, a vibratory plate for compacting, a breaker for rocks and concrete, or a post hole digger. Some attachments only need a one way valve, some need both. For setting 14' stuff, a quick attach truss boom might be handy. Now I know that they are not on your list, but the backhoe that impressed me the most in the past several months was a New Holland lb115. Its a 4 wheel steer hoe with massive power in the rear and just as impressive, wheel loader equaling force with the front. According to the spec sheet, it has almost as much loader power as my 450c deere trackloader, I think I have it by 500lbs. in the curl, but we are close to equal in lift.
Did some checking try the : JD410J TMC TC Case 580Super M Series 3 JCB 3CX
I have a JD 410 for 12 years. I was going to get a 310 but glad i got the bigger. If you have room get as big as you can get. If you do not work on them get a warrantee or a newer machine. consider renting/lease only when needed as a cost saving option. get a mechanic familiar with what your considering lined up that will come to your site and repair.Keeping a backhoe outside does not seem to bother there operation. But keep water out on the hydraulic oil when parked. They are great when they work or an anchor when bad. jim
New Holland and Case are very tightly related
I'm leaning toward one of the IT loader machines. The Case dealer has a leftover new '08 580SM Series 3. It's 4x4, hydraulic coupler on loader w/in-cab actuation, aux hydraulics, bucket and forks, e-hoe w/24" bucket, deluxe cab w/air, cloth air seat, pilots, stereo, dual batteries, flip stabilizer pads. The Cat dealer has a virtually identical 420E-IT, 2009 model, but WAY, WAY more money. The orange machine is looking pretty good at this point. I'm still looking at used, but the IT loader machines are not very plentiful. Besides, there's always that new machine smell .