Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help needed for hot pressure washer.

Legdoc · 2020-01-23 17:41

I am in need of a new pressure washer and want to proceed with a gasoline Honda engine with a Diesel burner. Reviews of Northstar, Karcher and Simpson are mixed. I have 8 pieces of equipment plus implements on my ranch and was previously poorly served with a 4000psi 4 gpm cold washer hooked up to a 50 gal water heater. This could not be used remotely with warm water and we always ran out of warm water. This was a poor boy rig. A portable true hot water/steam unit would sure come in handy. Something in the 4 gpm 3500psi range. I have no experience with these units and am looking for comments and advice. Thank you in advance.

Replies20
  1. #1skata2020-01-23 20:08

    I've rented one recently to prep a machine for paint. Brand MI-T-M Model HSP24033MGH 2400 psi. Worked pretty good. Can you find one to rent around you to get an idea of how it works?

  2. #2Canadian_digger2020-01-23 21:26

    I have a North Star. I bought it around 8 years ago. I’m happy with it. Endless super hot water and good pressure. I would recommend it.

  3. #3Tenwheeler2020-01-23 21:52

    I have been running Landa units for 20 plus years. Local guy with a pressure washing business is running a North Star. It seems to do just as well. What about customer service? I none anymore.

  4. #4Ct Farmer2020-01-23 21:58

    We have a Karcher and really like it. The hot water really helps get things clean. Usually run it around 190 at 1500 psi. Rarely go all the way to steam. We use a butyl based solution in it. The nice thing about the hot water is you can keep the pressure down which helps when cleaning more delicate items.

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-01-23 22:46

    Hotsy is popular in my area. Our high school Ag dept has one. I used it to clean my backhoe before I painted it. It worked really well. It used kerosene. If you can use soft water in them they will go a long time before descaling is needed. The local dealer gets some nice ones in on trade once in a while.

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-01-24 02:11

    There are some misconceptions when it comes to hot water/steam pressure washers. Warm water can run 4000 PSI pressures but the hotter the water gets the less pressure you can have. A 4000 PSI steam cleaner isn't possible. The hotter the water the better the cleaning but some experimenting with water temp. and pressure should find a happy medium.

  7. #7grandpa2020-01-24 05:17

    I have owned Braun, Hotsy and now a Karcher... I wouldn't be without my Karcher. It has a tank to put additive in to descale as your using it. I use it in a washbay and its a diesel burner. No need to vent it to the outside as it burns unbelievable clean. Its been in service now for two years and have not had even one problem with it. You can cut the pressure down from the wand for the delicate areas.

  8. #8Legdoc2020-01-24 10:00

    I appreciate the responses. Research indicates Landa and Hotsy are a part of Karcher. There is a Karcher dealer here. Mi-T-M is another orption with a dealer here but I had a bad experience with a twin tank wheel barrow type compressor I purchased new. Taking it out of the truck bed and sitting it on the ground it would not push. Examination revealed the cheesy tire was off the rim. The dealer took the tire off a older junk unit that was paint covered, cleaned it up some, put it on the compressor and said it is better than a new replacement. I thought ***? But, so far so good.

  9. #9Legdoc2020-01-24 10:02

    Grandpa, would you be kind enough to post the model number of your Karcher unit? Thank you

  10. #10Zewnten2020-01-24 16:58

    Karcher has great customer support when things get out of line. Make sure you buy from a local dealer or directly so that the fuel jet is appropriate for your altitude. Had one catch on fire because it sooted up so bad with unburned diesel after a guy brought it up from the plains or coast.

  11. #11grandpa2020-01-24 22:00

    I have the HDS Super Class model.

  12. #12catman132020-01-25 00:10

    I have a Landa hot water pressure washer with a honda motor and have used for 32 to years no problem, I run kerosene in it because diesel likes to soot up some

  13. #13KSSS2020-01-25 00:34

    I also have a Landa. It is a plug in unit. I have been really happy with it. I have had it for years.

  14. #14Nige2020-01-25 04:07

    Most pressure washer manufacturers can generally supply different burner nozzles (at the very least, there may be other changes required) depending on whether you prefer to use diesel or kerosene as your burner fuel. Personally I prefer a machine with a diesel engine and also use diesel in the burner. That (hopefully) makes it very difficult for some numpty to put the wrong fuel in the burner tank. I have personally seen gasoline dropped into a burner tank on a gas-engined pressure washer on more than one occasion. The results were frightening....... I think the fuel choices (engine & burner) should be made before you go looking to buy a unit.

  15. #15grandpa2020-01-25 09:34

    Numpty....lmao......

  16. #16CM19952020-01-25 10:40

    I have a version of that model. Bought 2 at auction for $950. Kept the best one and sold the other one for $1000. We still use it today. Probably not the best but you can't beat the price.

  17. #17Nige2020-01-25 12:59

    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/numpty

  18. #18heymccall2020-01-25 16:46

    Had my Northstar trailer unit for years now. Never an issue, save for a new battery.

  19. #19Andy1845c2020-01-30 17:02

    I have a northstar skid mount. I've had it for probably 10 years now. I have replaced an igniter board once and its had a few batteries in it. Past that its been good to me.

  20. #20Legdoc2020-01-30 22:47

    I appreciate the responses. If time permits I will go look at a Karcher 3.5 3000 psi tomorrow with a 13 hp Honda.