A very good friend recently purchased a used rental CAT 303 (CR I think) mini EX and I ran it recently and noticed a few things and was looking for some help 1) The CPU light is flashing - what the heck does this mean? Is it an error code or a "Bad" thing.... 2) There is a small up and down "arrow button" on the control panel where you start it. The writing is in Japanese (I think) - what does this change. When you press the little arrows a little digital display changes but can't really tell what it says - also look non-english 3) There is a button in the fuse panel under the seat marked "60" and is red -is this a breaker ? 4) By the "60" is a small knob that turns and you can select something - it has about 4 or so positions - what does this select? 5) On the panel where the key is there is 3 black push buttons - 2 are missing and the one farthest from the operator is there - any idea what is supposed to be there and what easy do? Needless to say I can't find a manual that shows what all these things do. I found a maintainance manual on CATS site that helps with service but nothing that shows what everything does. I have operated Mini Ex's in the past but they never had these switches and everything was in English to that helps quite a bit also.. Any ideas why some of the writing is not in English? The machine has 3000 Hrs on it and I am guessing is less than 10 years old (I don't know for sure). Are there certain problems with CATs that should be addressed or looked at? THANK YOU for the help!
Can you post a photo of the foreign writing?
Try this website: http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/mouse.html You can draw the character with your mouse and it offers translations. Japan uses 3 alphabets. 1 is kanji, the Chinese characters; 2 is hiragana, a phonetic alphabet; and 3 is katakana, a phonetic alphabet for spelling foreign words. I can help if you need it (I am familiar with the language). If I am not mistaken.... CAT was getting there butt handed to them by the Japanese on mini excavators in the 1980s. As a solution, they bought a Mitsubishi hydraulics division to build their hyd systems for them. Not sure about that. Just heard it once or twice.
Thanks-I will try that out - I don't have the Mini EX here at my place, my friend has it over at his brothers to do a little work so it maybe a bit before I can get the writing (sure can't remember it that is for sure!) I am hoping there is an American version or someone that has one - it is really odd.
Hi code54, I bought a "Cat" MM55sr at auction. Some people call them Shino Cat by Mitsibushi. It is very close to a Cat 305c and would be referred to as a midi excavator. My CPU light flashes but everything still runs. I don't have the up/down arrow thing. That 60 is a mini breaker. The little selector button by the breaker is a switch to go from John Deere controls system to Cat controls.I don't have the black button thing either. My machine has served me well. All the best from farmerboy.
Thanks Farmerboy, that helps make it make a little more sense! Also what is a midi Excavator? Never heard that term. THANK YOU
Midi is "mid" size around the 5 ton weight I am told. The mini, the midi and the large machines all have their place in different types of work. This forum is a great place to read and learn from good people. All the best from farmerboy.
Thanks, now I got it. I have a lot to learn and appricite people helping. Now for those buttons????
You mentioned japanese writing. That makes me think your friend may have purchased what they call a grey iron machine meaning it was built for a over seas market. Getting parts and service manuals for the machines can be a pain in the rear. Take the serial number of the machine to your local CAT dealer. They will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
What is the machine Serial Number..? The prefix will do for a start. The Cat Service Information lists 5 options, although 3 of them are for 303.5. So your most likely prefixes are DMA or BXT. If it's a CR it's likely to be BXT. Here are a couple of images from the BXT Operator Manual that might help you get started. As the manual says - "your machine may not be equipped with all the controls described here". I'm working on the rest of your questions. It may take a bit longer. the "60" is a 60-amp circuit breaker for the main power feed from the alternator BTW. Looking at the electrical schematics for both DMA & BXT machines leads me to believe that your machine is most likely to be a DMA.