Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questions about excavator auger and brush rakes for mini ex

ThrottleJ ยท 2012-03-22 22:30

I have a Kubota kx71-3 (6000lb mini ex) that I use around my property. I am looking to get some attachments specifically an auger and a brush rake. I have some dumb questions about using these: On the auger how do you keep the hole straight? It seems like you would constantly be adjusting the arm to keep the auger in line vertically. Regarding the brush rake I have seen various designs and sizes usually 24-36". It will mostly be used for berries with some heavier brush. Any suggestions on what size and style would be appropriate for my machine would be appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Huntoon2012-03-23 00:44

    I think the auger hangs by a knuckle joint, and bends accordingly. Also, the auger bit should track itself straight down from the initial penetration.

  2. #2Hendrik2012-03-23 02:28

    With some experience it is not hard to keep the auger straight but it helps if you have a second person to watch the auger. Biggest problem with gravity feed augers is that they will go wherever the digging is the easiest and rocks/roots will send it off course. A KX71 should handle a 36" rake pretty easy, the wider the more work it will do.

  3. #3Alan Wade2012-04-28 23:42

    Auger alignment device Hello Hendrik, We have an auger alignment device called a Diggalign. www.digga.com/Diggalign.html the device is an auger alignment system that connects into the top of the Drive unit bail, is connected via a wiring harness back to the cab of your machine. A simple LED display shows you forward/aft & side to side positioning. Should you be interested in more information please contact me at [email protected] Kind regards, Alan

  4. #4GroundWorks2012-05-06 07:45

    I've been wondering the same thing. What have you found out?

  5. #5ThrottleJ2012-05-06 11:37

    I bought an auger and it is not an issue. You might need to make a couple very small adjustments to the boom as you dig to keep the hole straight. A second person to watch the hole from outside is helpful. Regarding the brush rake I did not get one because they are just outrageously priced for what the are. I will continue making due with my toothed bucket and thumb for brush clearing.

  6. #6GroundWorks2012-05-06 11:50

    What did you end up getting for an auger?

  7. #7ThrottleJ2012-05-06 21:43

    Land pride hd25

  8. #8Hendrik2012-05-11 01:55

    Cheers for that Alan, if I was using the auger a lot I might get this set up but I don't do a lot of post hole boring and usually have someone on site to give me a hand with alignment.