I am in the process of specifying an 18' custom trailer build as a service/parts platform probably pulled 20k miles per year. I only want to do this once and considering an all aluminum unit with ramp rear door. It will have one work bench, roof air conditioner, air compressor with generator and tandem 5k axles. There are many options out there including all steel, steel chassis with aluminum framing and all aluminum including floor. There are also many manufacturers many of which is pure junk. Does any member of this forum have any experience with this type trailer and a good builder? Any advice is appreciated.
We purchased an aluminum service body from these guys, and we are very happy with it. I believe they build trailers as well. Alum-line Products American-made aluminum trailers, truck beds, bodies, boxes & specialty products. 38+ years of craftsmanship, 200+ dealers nationwide, 5-year warranty. www.alumline.com
Unless you are rolling heavy equipment in and out of the trailer, it may be wise to reconsider the ramp rear door. They take a lot of space to open, things like power cords and air hoses can't be hung on them, your trailer and it's contents will be very exposed when open, and it will let all of that AC out every time it's opened.
There are some YouTube channels that address this particular work trailer concept. Mostly plumbing and contractor focused. Pretty innovative, what some of these fellas have done I considered it myself, but steered away from it. Still, it’s a great concept. I sketched one out considering weight and balance, workflow and such. I came to the same conclusion as renovator regarding the drop down rear door.
I appreciate the input and understand the limitations of the ramp rear door. It would come in handy with a dolly and inventory though. I have been watching YouTube videos also. Very good advice. Lots of options and choices out here.
For what it's worth I would consider upgrading the axles to 7K, its not much of an upcharge and the extra capacity would be nice to have along with the extra build that would go into it. I get to spec equipment including trailers at work and that is something I've started doing to hopefully help increase lifespan of all components. Yes it does sit slightly higher and empty it's a bit of a bouncy ride but as soon as we get our stuff in them they smooth out and ride just fine. I have had the manufacturers even 'derate' the trailer down under 10K GVW to keep us out of issues with CDL requirements knowing full well they will not be loaded close to that even.
I would ask same here, had a friend buy a welding body, was very happy with it in the field running pipeline work. Custom Truck Bodies - Custom Aluminum Truck Bodies » JOMAC JOMAC is the leading manufacturer of customized aluminum truck bodies. We started in aluminum and developed as the true specialist in aluminum truck bodies. When every other manufacturer was bogged down in steel, JOMAC was advancing the business and serving customers with aluminum truck bodies... jomacltd.com