Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP! New member with CAT 257D issues

VtecGSR952000 ยท 2026-09-25 21:01

Hello group! Long time lurker, first time registering and posting! I just bought a 2015 CAT 257D for chores around the house/property. The machine was advertised by a private seller on FB marketplace, 2400 hours, 2-speed, high flow, several new parts. After checking it over, I decided to make the purchase. Got the machine home, cleaned it up good, changed the engine oil and filter, and both air filters for a baseline. Here's where it gets interesting......I go to try and find the service interval/maintenance reset procedure, and while scrolling through the display, I found a screen showing the "machine hours" and they were 6890!! So, now I am freaking out because I feel like the machine was grossly misrepresented, but quote possibly the previous owner had no idea as he was somewhat of a skid steer newbie like myself! So, I spoke with a local guy who works for the CAT dealer, and he ran the serial#. It showed the last time the machine was connected to CAT PC was 2022, and showed just over 2500 hours, so clearly the current 2406 reading is not accurate. My question is......how do I figure out why the heck the front display screen doesn't match the total machine hours? Could this be a simple screen swap that reset the displayed hours on the main screen, but maintained the the current total hours in another screen? No one seems to know how this could have happened. Of course, the seller is saying he bought it this past spring and was also told is had around 2300 hours, and they barely put 100 hours on it. I am prepared to take legal action, although I don't know how it will all play out. I am just doing my best to understand how this all happened, as I did not know to look through the display to find another set of hours as ALL CAT machines I've looked at advertised the main screen showing the gauges and hours. I appreciate any input from the experienced folks in here. Thanks in advance! Frank

Replies0

No replies yet.