Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help no gauges on yutani kobelco

qkoop ยท 2008-04-20 15:26

I bought a mdi yutani 1991 md140c at the auction, it is the same as the kobelco sk mark III line.The gauge just says CHECK, with a picture of a wrench . I have tried bringing up the codes ,[pushing buzzer stop 5 times after key on]But it wont even go into code mode.I have checked fuses, cleaned all the grounds,harneses.I think it is the gauge controller , but i want to be sure before spending $1800 for a new one from the dealer.I bought a service manuel and it doest even tell you anything about how to check codes or the connecter inputs or outputs.I would like to plug it into another machine to see if that is the problem first.If you know someone in the lower mainland area with a 90-94 sk i would be more than happy to pay them to let me plug it in on there machine.Or if you know of a parts machine that would be great to.The part number is 2480u307f2 Thanx Quentin:beatsme

Replies14
  1. #1td15c2008-04-20 21:24

    you might want to take a look at this link http://www.plccenter.com/sm/Kobelco.html

  2. #2qkoop2008-04-20 23:20

    I already tried them and they are out of stock, and they have no way to fully test mine and dont garrenty it will work after they go thru it.

  3. #3John C.2008-04-21 21:14

    I don't recall those two machines being the same. I've worked on a few Yutani's and they were the same as the Mitsubishi and not the Kobelco. I seem to remember on the Kobelcos that I had to pull the cover behind the seat and there was a bypass switch in there. It's worth a try anyway. I would suggest you try to call Rhine Equipment in Tacoma, Washington and see if anyone their might have an idea of what to do. They were the Kobelco dealer back in those days and someone might still work there. I probably wouldn't mention to them that you got the machine at auction. Most of the dealers are getting sensitive about having anything to do with machines that were obtained at auctions unless they have a way of making some money from it. I have seen other ads for companies who say they can fix the computers on excavators and have yet to see anyone successfull yet. If you do go that way let us know how it works out. Good Luck!

  4. #4qkoop2008-04-22 12:41

    Yes, there is a switch behind your right side elbow hidden that says release and dpss.From what i understand it is to bypass the computer in an emergency where you can move the machine without the computer.But i tried it in both positions and it doesnt make a difference the throttle and everything works either way.

  5. #5d4c24a2008-04-22 13:30

    wrong is there anything actually wrong with the machine ,or is the display showing check but the machine runs and operates OK

  6. #6qkoop2008-04-22 13:35

    Everything works and runs fine.I dont like to run a machine without gauges in case the thermostat sticks or if oil pressure is lost.

  7. #7d4c24a2008-04-22 13:56

    gauges i had a freind have a similar problem on a grey import ,he fitted a set of aftermarket gauges ,oil,water, battery for a fraction of the cost of a new panel ,might be a plan for you :drinkup graham

  8. #8armadillo2008-04-24 23:36

    Dito, I'd put after market guages on it before I spent $1800.

  9. #9bear2008-04-25 00:09

    Uh Huh! exactly. Good set of gauges from a reputable parts house would be the ticket.

  10. #10qkoop2008-04-26 23:13

    Fixed it. It was the gauge controller.Hard to believe a small electronic box 4'x4'x2' can be over $2000 with tax.It sure is nice to have all the electronics working properly.To me a after market gauges look hokey and really kills the resale value.

  11. #11stumper1202008-04-27 08:12

    nice job. post a few pics of the yutani if you can. i have a md120lc from the late 90s and love it you cant beat the mitsu motor.:usa

  12. #12qkoop2008-04-28 16:40

    Actually it is a isuzu moter.I really like how quiet and smooth it runs, not to mention it doesnt hardly burn any fuel I have heard that the final drives are the weak link on these machines, so i was thinking of pulling them and having them gone thru to avoid the mass destruction if they pile up.Other than that the machine only has 4500 original hours.I didnt know they made a 120 send some pics.

  13. #13drag1line2008-04-29 19:54

    The MD 140CLC was a Kobelco 120LC Mark III. Similar arrangement to Deere and Hitachi and Case with Link Belt. Best source of used parts in that area is Feenaughty in Portland or TMAR Industries on the Vancover Island. Good Luck Yes, Check the finals for wear.

  14. #14qkoop2008-06-17 23:53

    here is a pick