Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help !!!! Oil conundrum

Therapydoc · 2018-05-30 16:18

Bought a used backhoe, everything works as it should. How can I figure out what hydraulic oil is in the system? Books calls for ISO32 or 46. The old man says he used whatever you’d use in any regular Deere. Typical old man set in his old ways. I want to make sure im using the right oil. Granted he had the machine for 15+ years but couldn’t say exactly what type fluid it was. Will an oil analysis tell me this? Sorry but for $1000 worth of oil, I’m not changing it all. Don’t use the machine enough to justify it. I just need to be able to add but have been told mixing oils can be a bad idea also.

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2018-05-30 17:56

    If you aint changing it all, then just add whatever's cheapest. $18/bucket universal tractor fluid around here. that would be $80 to change it all, not really all, drain and refill.

  2. #2Therapydoc2018-05-30 19:04

    I’m just not sure I want to run something other than what’s recommended. I’d hate to mess up the pump.

  3. #3Junkyard2018-05-30 19:05

    I second what Delmer said. Don’t sweat it. You don’t want to hear this....odds are you’ll blow a hose and dump some anyway . No need for anything expensive or name brand in there. Even if you drained the reservoir dry and refilled you’d only get about half of the oil changed anyway. Whether you use an AW 32, 46 or a universal it won’t hurt a thing. It’s old enough the hydraulics on it are still quite simple.

  4. #4Theweldor2018-05-30 19:09

    We don't even know what the machine is?

  5. #5Junkyard2018-05-30 20:10

    Used backhoe at least 15 years old....assuming John Deere by the OP comments....that’s all I need to know. It it suggests AW it’ll be fine with universal.

  6. #6Ronsii2018-05-30 20:16

    Since the book says 32 or 46 there is probably also a note in the book about temperature.... colder use thinner.

  7. #7Therapydoc2018-05-30 21:53

    Bc I knew you guys would be ripping me a new one haha. It’s a JCB 217S with 4 wheel steer. Machine is a beast and operates great and I want to keep her running good

  8. #8Grady2018-05-30 23:13

    It probably does hold a thousand dollars worth of JCB's hydraulic oil. Ouch! Like has already been said - you're mixing oil no matter what you do. I think the main issue with mixing oils is the zinc vs zinc free if I'm remembering right. I'd just pick one and stick with it. Eventually it will be mostly whatever you've chosen. Budget and amount of OCD will determine your choice. I'd put good oil in an expensive machine that doesn't leak and cheap oil in an old machine that leaks and/or has questionable hoses because like has been said - they blow. It's just hydraulic oil, not engine or transmission. I don't think you can hurt the pump unless you run it dry. You could probably run vegetable oil. Oil analysis is cheap so why not know what's up. I'd change all the filters and fluids if it were me - Then you'll know what you've got.

  9. #9Therapydoc2018-05-31 12:17

    Ok so I’m going to use AW46 from Napa for my hydraulics, next question is the brakes recommend ISO VG15 aka 15w light hydraulic fluid. The AW46 weight is 15w. Will that oil work in the brake system also?

  10. #10Nige2018-05-31 17:42

    It appears as though you may be confusing two viscoisty classification systems. ISO VG15 is not the same as SAE 15W, it's actually slightly lighter than an SAE 5W. The chart below shows the comparisons between ISO, AGMA, SAE Crankcase, & SAE Gear oil viscosity ratings. As you rightly said, ISO VG46 is very similar in viscosity to an SAE 15W.