Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP! Old 225 boom acting irratic. “sticking”

fastline ยท 2011-09-14 11:57

This is a new to us machine. Has been sitting for months but was put back into service for 8hrs before we got it. When operating the boom ( stick, bucket, or house move perfect), it seems to growl a bit and act like it is in a bind which makes smooth operation impossible. If i try to operate is very slow, it seems to stick a jitter. my gut is saying that one cylinder is working harder than the other and binding it but just not sure. I need to figure out a way to troubleshoot the system whether it be a collapsed line, cylinder, etc I will say that the machine will lift the boom at idle but certainly will not lift the machine at all. When I first try to move the boom up, I will hear the pilot hissing like it is passing fluid but no movement. I will give it a little more stick and it will kind of creak and sort of "take off". Once moving, it is smooth with no other strange noises until the boom stops and moved again. Both cylinders leak but do not appear to be bent or otherwise damaged but I realize that does not say anything about the internals.

Replies0

No replies yet.