Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help on a Cat 953

rdp58 ยท 2018-01-01 20:14

I have a 1989 Cat 953 loader. I was operating it the other day and I was going forward and stopped, when I pulled the leaver in reverse I heard a loud pop. Sounded like something broke, sounded like it was in the right final drive somewhere. The loader will not move in either direction. The bucket hydraulics still works. What is the best guess to what happened? Anyone have any suggestions how to proceed from here?

Replies5
  1. #1kshansen2018-01-02 10:24

    Like I almost always say, a complete S/N will get much better answers! I took a quick look in SIS and there are close to a dozen different S/N prefixes and who knows how many variation within each of those. Sorry to not be able to help.

  2. #2rdp582018-01-02 11:09

    Sorry, the serial number is 20z something. If you need the entire number I can get it later. Thanks for any help.

  3. #3Dickjr.2018-01-02 13:18

    If you think its the right final , take the axle cap off or check the magnetic plug for metal. Same thing happened to my 943 a year ago. The left final exploded. Seems like if you loose one side it won't pull at all on the good side. The other thing , you could have lost a drive motor hose to that side which in this case would be the cheaper route but you would have noticed oil under the machine. Post your findings and we can go from there.

  4. #4rdp582018-01-02 21:13

    When the loader quit moving the other day I was on a steep grade. I thought I would try to get it on level ground to check the final drive. It would not move, I picked up the front of the loader up with the bucket and rocked the loader. Next thing I know the loader worked like it was supposed to. Could I have unjammed something something when I rocked the loader or did I accidentally hit the brake between the peddles and it released when I rocked it? I ran it for about an hour today and it worked great. Thank you for the responses.

  5. #5Dickjr.2018-01-02 23:15

    If it was that steep it could have last trans pressure if the trans oil was a little low. Another thing a rock lodged , who knows. But if its working ok now that is great. I would still check the final drive plugs and trans oil etc if you don't already do it on a regular basis.